How many times????

twilight

Nov 25, 2003
oaklyn,nj
Visit site
Have you ever scratch-built something and you really felt you were on your way to having it completed and than suddenly you realized you over looked something? Well it's been happening to me! I've been working on a wooden trestle with embunkments(?) in to the scenary and after having the darn thing nearly completed, I realized my rolling stock won't clear the corner of a wall I had constructed!:mad: Please, lend me your support!!!
Has this ever happened to any of you guys??? I'm realitively new to this, so guess I must persevere!!!

Twilight

Hello Twilight,

I really hope you don't expect me to admit in public that I recently had to take a pair of side cutters to my permanently installed station awning for that very same reason.

That would suggest that my 50+ years of modelling has taught me naught.

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
I believe it is a learning process. We try something and it either works or it doesn't . If it works, great. If it doesn't we have learned something which will stand us in good stead the next time we try something else.
If we don't try without a risk of something going awry then progress deminishes. My mother always said to me "Try, try again. If it doesn't work the first time , do it over". I can't tell you how many times I have torn apart what took hours to put together. The only crime would be not to do it again.

Arlaghan

Sep 9, 2003
S. FL
It happened to me. I was scratch-building a timber deck truss bridge and there wasnt enough clearance underneath it. I had to scrap it and make a regular truss bridge instead. Fortunately, I only made a little bit of progress and went to check on that.

grumbeast

Jan 13, 2003
Dartmouth, N.S. Canada
www.accesswave.ca
Yeah, me too..

After scratchbuilding a wooden station platform in
N with scale lumber (in situ.. my first mistake!) I discovered
that while my diesel locomotives ran past beautifully
all of my steam locomotives running gear hit the edge
and derail. so a LOT of time with some sandpaper fixed
it

Graham

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Where I usually get into trouble is reassembling something I took apart. The pickup wipers on N scale locos in particular tend to be out of place after assembly, requiring I tear it all down and start over. In fact last night, I was working on an 0-6-0, cleaning/oiling/fixing/improving, and 2 or 3 times I put the drivers back in with the pickups out of place (slow learner!). :curse: :curse: :curse:

Well, ya just gotta take a deep breath and start over when that happens, weather it's a half hour lost or a week. :(

F

Fred_M

Spent hours putting in wood pilings between the creek and the track. Even checked it for clearance using a F-7 and a 86 foot flat car. Got it all painted and weathered. Went highballing around it with a GP7 and the front steps hit it derailing the GP and dropping several cars all the way to the floor. Spent more hours reworking it to clear the GP7. DASH

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Been there! I made a tunnel entrance and made certain it was OK on clearances but I neglected to test a last minute addition retaining wall to the side that caught locomotives as they rounded the curve into the tunnel. You are not alone! :)
Ralph

twilight

Nov 25, 2003
oaklyn,nj
Visit site
Thanks everyone for your replies!:) Didn't have the heart to correct the wall last night, but it's on my list of things to do, tonight!!!

It's funny I tested my little saddle tanker(all I'm running on this layout) by the wall and it was fine!!! So I was all excited on how well it was working and looked! But then I add the the box car!:eek: :eek: :eek: ....:curse: :curse: :curse: And it was back to the drawing board!!!

Thanks again everyone!!!!:)

Twilight

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Well I once took a loco apart to clean it, put it all back together and it ran perfect. -- Then I noticed I had some tiny nuts and bolts left over. I still have them LOL
Shamus

F

Fred_M

Originally posted by rebel
you old pros ever hear of a clearance car
Them cost money that can also be used for super detail parts, scenery, rolling stock,... Some people buy tools, some people use borrowed tools.:D :D :D DASH

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Originally posted by rebel
you old pros ever hear of a clearance car

Got one o' those, 90 scale feet long, 20 scale feet high and 16 scale feet wide and the club auto-racks still manage to find things to hang up on:curse: :cry: :eek:ops: :eek: :rolleyes: 'Tis the thrill o' comin' out right just once that keeps me building.`

I'm pretty good in the scenery/building dept, can't recall anything of real note. All my stuff happens under the hood, like the time I inadvertently wired a decoder in around the drive shaft---twice---on the same loco. Or when I hooked up 4 of those beautiful bright white 2mm LEDs at $6 a pop to a new decoder and remembering they're rated at 1 1/2 volts---after---power was applied.:eek:ops: