How many of you have done this???

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
My wife says she was fascinated by the miniaturization the first time she was in my apartment. Later, she acted as "Mother Nature" on the modular layout, making sure that we put out the scenery, not just stopping when the trains could run. She performs the same sort of role on my layout, telling me what needs to be finished, although she doesn't usually take a hands-on role. She did once make some backdrops that involved attaching WS foam to boards.
She also buys me train stuff, keeps track of shows, and arranges trips. She also initiates buying railway prints.
She has her own layout now, but I get to do all the mechanical and electrical.

KCS

Nov 23, 2004
Shreveport, LA.
I'm trying so damn hard but it just doesn't seem to be working. What did you guy's do? She does web design as a "hobby" but I don't really see that as so. It's not a physically hands on hobby. It's more of a cyberspace hobby. I mean I draw from time to time and use the net for info when ever I get caught up and need help in my hobby but not as the hobby itself.

Oct 11, 2004
New York. Oneida
well she all started when i was watching the model build dream series and she was fasinanted with the locomotives the showed and i told her id take her track side and show her what they were like close up and in person. after that she just picked up intrest in the scenary part of the layout so far, but as you all know once your bitten by the bug theres no turning back.

Gary S.

Oct 13, 2005
Texas
My wife is semi-interested in the hobby. She has built a couple of small structures and has weathered some box cars. She also helped make trees. And last but not least, she hasn't complained one single bit about the money that I pour into this!:)

2-8-2

Jan 6, 2005
Delaware, Ohio
www.wn-rr.net
My girlfriend "acts" interested...kind of the same way I do when she starts talking about one of her CSI tv shows. She does ask a few questions, but most of the time I think she just humors me because she knows I like talking trains.

So far, the most involved she's gotten is to give me The Look(tm) when I asked for more layout space. Hehe!

Illus

Sep 24, 2006
Wyandotte, Michigan
My wife is interested in the scenery. Once she realized there was 'accessories' other than just trains, she got into it. She wants to help layout the town and people. Plus she likes the fact that I 'Finally got a hobby' that she can buy me stuff for. Apparently I am too picky about my motorcycle accessories:)

Alan Bickley

Dec 22, 2003
Bicester, Oxford, UK
Visit site
Well at first my girlfriend didn't seem keen about it when I told her what my main hobby was (I have several!).
While on a camping trip together back in the summer I thought it would be a good idea to visit a shop in the area that I had always wanted to visit, so I decided to take her along.
What was the outcome? Well, while we were in the shop she became fascinated by the array of HO scale vehicles and scenic accessories, and became interested in the hobby from there on in. We have been developing a narrow gauge layout together and we are getting married next summer!

CCT70

Jun 25, 2003
Congratulations Alan!

Mine LOVES trains. I got her hooked from the start. Didn't even try. At first I thought it was because my ex hated trains, but Alicia really does enjoy them. She got hooked on the prototype when she asked to go with me to the museum in Portola, and I took her along. Next thing I know, she hits it off with the regulars up there and even gets as vile and vulgar as they do when around them, since they are a bunch of UP train and enginemen during the week. She even flashed her chest at them when they brought some of our equipment down the main line through Stockton on the way to San Francisco. I about died. She's a real ham. A good engineer too, she can run a GP as well as anyone up there, but we haven't been brave enough to try her skills with a train, just light engine for now. As for modeling, she is really taking a hands on approach to the structures and scenery aspect of the planning for the new layout, leaving me with the task of track planning and equipment. Now if I can only get her "unhooked" from buying all her stuff in Chessie System and SP Daylight....

N

nachoman

My ex gf really didn't care much about my interests. I guess that means it was a bad relationship!

kevin

Jim Krause

Apr 7, 2005
Polson, MT
I've tried to get my wife interested in doing some scenery stuff, trees etc that she can do from her bed(she is bedridden). She is very talented artisticly but doesn't seem to care about doing models. She "thinks the trains are cute". We've all heard that before, I'm sure.

Oct 11, 2004
New York. Oneida
jeez jim i sorry to hear about your woman but dont let that stop you from trying to get her to detail some things for you or even get her into running some even if is for a short time. my sarrow goes out to you and her.

Knighthawk

Feb 1, 2006
Hey guys, you want your girlfriends, or wives to be interested in model railroading? Here's what I did. At first, my girlfriend thought that "Toy Trains" were just that, for children only...then one day the blender broke. Never one to pass up an opportunity, I waited for her to go out, then pulled a "Red Green" style fix-it job on it. When she came home and saw the contents of two tool boxes, and the former blender's guts spread all over the kitchen table, she was furious! Now I had her just where I wanted her. I patiently explained that if she would let me have some space for my layout, I would be working on that instead of murdering her appliances. This of course made perfect sense to her, so she not only let me have the space, but checked out what the hobby was all about by going with me to my LHS, and she was hooked from then on.:thumb:

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
My wife appreciates my enjoyment of the layout and comes down occasionally to see what I've done on it lately but she's not really a fan. She has admited to noticing real trains a lot more when we're driving and will jokingly complain, "look what you've done to me!"
Ralph

Twiget

Jan 11, 2006
Cherry Hill, NJ
My wife does most of the background painting. She also has built one of the buildings on the layout. We always go to Sattler’s hobby shop together. I am sure that there will be a shinny new locomotive under the tree from her. I am a lucky guy.:thumb: :D :thumb:

Aloha
Tom

MadModeler

May 20, 2006
My wife is already talented and when we started going out, we would have our Hobby Nights (Saturday) where we would work on models together (cars etc) while listening to the oldies on CHFI.

We're planning to build another hobby room in the house (current one is too small) and this one will have the layout in the room so we can run a train while working on our models. The smaller one will be converted to a play room for our dog.

I'll get some shots of it before it's decomissioned.