How Many Locos?

How many locos do you have in your collection?

• 1-30

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 31-60

• 61-100

• Over 100

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RobertInOntario

Mar 22, 2006
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
This is kind of a silly question, but I'm curious! Just wondering how many locos you have in your collection?

I realize that various factors can skew the results. For example, I have about 25, but 1/3 of these are poor quality, another 1/3 are "OK," while another third are excellent models that I use a lot. And some of us build and operate model railroads while others are mainly collectors.

At any rate, I'm hoping that this will be an interesting poll. Thanks.

Rob

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Rivarossi---

4-8-8-4 Big Boy
4-8-8-2 Cab-forward
0-4-0 Docksider
4-4-0 Genoa
three GG1 electrics
Santa Fe RS3

Athearn---

FP45 Amtrak
two Pennsy PA1s powered and dummy
two Espee DD40s both twin motored
N&W Trainmaster
Espee GP7
Espee SW1500
two Hustlers
two New Haven RDCs powered and dummy
two CSX C44-9Ws
L&N U30

Tyco... yes, Tyco

Spirit of '76 Alco Century 430
Brill Trolley
2-8-0

Bachmann---

4-8-4 N&W Class "J"
4-8-4 Santa Fe Northern
Cass Scenic Railway 80 ton 3 truck Shay
0-6-0 Thomas
Birney Trolley

Life-Like---

0-4-0 Saddletanker
two P2K ACL E8/9s powered

Jeouff---

SNCF B+B electric

Marklin---

4-6-2 DNR Class O1

PFM/United---

HOn3 4-6-0 C&S Mogul

Pemco---

GG1

Bowser---

4-6-2 Pennsy K4

MDC/Roundhouse---

Boxcab

IHC---

Pennsy 4-4-0 American

Model Power---
4-6-2 CP

Scratchbuilt/kitbashed---

HOn30 0-6-0 Saddletanker
" Galloping Goose
HO B+B Boxcab electric

N scale---

Rivarossi Onion Specific 0-8-0 switcher
Trix Beano 0-6-0 switcher
Bachmann Santa Fe 4-8-4 Northern
" Union Pacific 4-4-0 American
Life-Like Amtrak F7A
two Atlas Pennsy C Liners

Errr...that is a rather eclectic mix... :thumb:

RobertInOntario

Mar 22, 2006
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
shaygetz said:
19 steam, 17 diesel, 6 electric, 3 trolleys :thumb:

Interesting! Of the ones that work (see my note above), I have 12 British (all steam); 4 North American Steam and; 4 North American Diesels.

I also have 2 steam, 5 diesels and 1 electric (that I inherited from my Dad) that either do not work or run very poorly. These are all North American locos.

BTW, I really like Spurgeon. He had a powerful influence & it's great that his books are still being used today.

Rob

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
All mine work but not all are top runners. Of the fleet, the obvious, Rivarossi, Athearn, MDC/Roundhouse, the high end Bachmann and Life-Like and AHM are my most reliable, the others are sentimental favorites. They run, but usually after a good thump on the layout:thumb:

We could use a Spurgeon or two today.

LongIslandTom

Apr 8, 2006
Long Island, NY
RobertInOntario said:
I realize that various factors can skew the results. For example, I have about 25, but 1/3 of these are poor quality, another 1/3 are "OK," while another third are excellent models that I use a lot.

I learned early on not to fall for the cheap locos... the hard way. My first loco was an HO-scale Bachmann E60CP with a pancake motor, and it was a piece of crap. My second and third locos were also piece-of-crap pancake motor Tycos and Life Likes. None of them lasted longer than a week. Considering that back then I was 15 and had to work 3 months to pay for each of those pieces of crap, it was a terrible loss.

Then I discovered Athearn locos... Looked at an issue of model railroader and one had a photo of the mechanism, and I thought, " gee, that looked a lot more heavy-duty than the mechanisms in my pieces of crap locos." Bought an Athearn for my 4th-ever loco purchase, and I was sold. From then on I resolved to buy only good-quality locos.

29 locos on my present roster, all high-quality stuff-- Atlases, Athearns, P2Ks, and Katos. No cheapie stuff. I think I saved myself quite a bit of grief.

RobertInOntario

Mar 22, 2006
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
shaygetz said:
All mine work but not all are top runners. Of the fleet, the obvious, Rivarossi, Athearn, MDC/Roundhouse, the high end Bachmann and Life-Like and AHM are my most reliable, the others are sentimental favorites. They run, but usually after a good thump on the layout:thumb:
We could use a Spurgeon or two today.

My top runners are either the new Hornby or Bachmann, or Proto 1000 (a CNR diesel), or the old Hornby Dublo from the early-1960s. These Hornby Dublo locos are diecast and, while their detailing isn't as good as today's models, their performance is often better (this is still true after some 45 years).

I also have a few sentimental ones that either run poorly or not at all.

And I certainly agree that we could do with a few Spurgeons today!

Cheers, Rob

Thoroughbreed

Aug 4, 2006
South Eastern AL
About 60~70 Athearns, all powered and 6 dummies (1/2 converted to dcc now)
27 Rivarossi's (1/2 converted to dcc)
16 Atlas (4 dcc)
2 Spectrum's dcc
2 tower55 dcc & sound

recent acquisitions:
P2K E7B FEC, P2K IC E6A, P2K ACL E6A&B from Ebay
BLI CNW E7A dcc & sound(thanks CRed:thumb: )
2 PCM F3's dcc & sound(thanks again CRed:thumb: )
1 Athearn Genesis NS SD70M (thanks CPR9100:thumb: )

I'm more of a collector right this minute, till I get moved into my new house and can setup the layout.:D

RobertInOntario

Mar 22, 2006
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
LongIslandTom said:
I learned early on not to fall for the cheap locos... the hard way. My first loco was an HO-scale Bachmann E60CP with a pancake motor, and it was a piece of crap. My second and third locos were also piece-of-crap pancake motor Tycos and Life Likes. None of them lasted longer than a week. Considering that back then I was 15 and had to work 3 months to pay for each of those pieces of crap, it was a terrible loss.
Then I discovered Athearn locos... Looked at an issue of model railroader and one had a photo of the mechanism, and I thought, " gee, that looked a lot more heavy-duty than the mechanisms in my pieces of crap locos." Bought an Athearn for my 4th-ever loco purchase, and I was sold. From then on I resolved to buy only good-quality locos.
29 locos on my present roster, all high-quality stuff-- Atlases, Athearns, P2Ks, and Katos. No cheapie stuff. I think I saved myself quite a bit of grief.

I agree about avoiding crap locos. On eBay and flea markets, etc., you can often buy locos that are 20-30 years old for only $30-$50 each. These might seem like deals at the time, but their quality is mediocre at best.

I tell myself that it's far better to save up my money to buy only a few new, high quality locos for $150 to $200 (depending on the model), than to buy scores of cheap ones for $50 apiece.

Rob

CRed

Dec 10, 2006
Duluth,MN
I have TWO locos,but at least they're decent models.

1-Tower55 NP ES44

1-BLI DM&IR RSD-15 Both with DCC/Sound. Chris

LoudMusic

Jul 21, 2006
I think this kind of poll could use quite a few more options in the lower numbers. Like ...

2-5
6-10
11-20
21-30

Just a thought ;)

DOUBLEJK

Jan 25, 2006
I've only been at this for a bit over a year but have 10 Loco's ... But thier all DCC.:)
5 Athearn Genesis SD70Mac's BNSF
1 P2K GP38-2 BN
1 Athearn GP35 Rio Grande
1 Spectrum 4-8-2 Unlettered
1 Spectrum 0-6-0 Colorado Mining
1 Spectrum F40PH Amtrak
So far they all run pretty well...:thumb:

Regard's
John

CRed

Dec 10, 2006
Duluth,MN
Yeah,nice to know it isn't just me.

I just started so Knowing how I go overboard at times I'll certainly be adding to that total soon

Damn I hate when I HAVE to use IE,but the-gauge isn't working for me using FF.

RobertInOntario

Mar 22, 2006
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
LoudMusic said:
I think this kind of poll could use quite a few more options in the lower numbers. Like ...

2-5
6-10
11-20
21-30

Just a thought ;)

Yeah, you're probably right. I was just trying to keep it simple but a few more options in the lower numbers may be more helpful (maybe someone could ask this poll again in a few months or so!) Rob

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
RobertInOntario said:
Yeah, you're probably right. I was just trying to keep it simple but a few more options in the lower numbers may be more helpful (maybe someone could ask this poll again in a few months or so!) Rob

I'm already surprised that six people say they have over 30!
Ralph