how make flashing lights

rick dink

Mar 12, 2006
I need to make 36 grain of wheat bulbs flash at the same time.
bulbs are 65 ma 6v each. I would also like to run them off of 7.2 volts if I can. thanks all!!! Rick

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
rick dink said:
I need to make 36 grain of wheat bulbs flash at the same time.
bulbs are 65 ma 6v each. I would also like to run them off of 7.2 volts if I can. thanks all!!! Rick
First of all, welcome to the Gauge.

That's a lot of power you need to drive those lamps. You're looking at around 2.5 to 3 amps and around to 20 watts. Your max current requirments will go up if you use 7.2 volts on a 6 volt lamp, more like 80 mA each. Your lamp life will deminish appreciably as well, dependent on the flash rate (how often it flashes) and duty cycle (how long it's on in comparison to being off). The site that Jim mentioned does have flashing circuits, but be sure to consider what you're working with before you go off and start building one.

A bit more information from you might make it easier to set you on the right path. For instance, what are you using as a voltage source and what kind of current can it provide? Also, what is your application, or at least the flash rate? Will it be flashing continously or occasionally for short periods.