How long have you been modeling?

Would you be interested in a Operation Forum?

• Yes, by all means!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not sure

• No!!!!!!!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jon-monon

I guess I was about 15 when I stopped doing much with my childhood layout. No idea when I started, if you consider the old O guage track on the carpet. I'm just gunna say 1 to 5 years, because I musta been 12 or 13 when I started a real layout, and I've only been back at it less than a year.

When I started this poll I forgot to mention to feel free to post your story. I've enjoyed reading all of your posts on what brought you to today and all. Please do post when you vote. Rock on.
Hey thank for sharing your stories and voting! If you haven't yet, be sure and at least vote, or better yet, tell us where ya been all these years!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Originally posted by jon-monon
I guess I was about 15 when I stopped doing much with my childhood layout. No idea when I started, if you consider the old O guage track on the carpet. I'm just gunna say 1 to 5 years, because I musta been 12 or 13 when I started a real layout, and I've only been back at it less than a year.

Neat question, If you count the Model Rockets, and the Model cars, and the model Trains - It's been 30 yrs.

The actual model railroading, has been since '82 So it's been 20 Yrs.. :) :) :) I've had some kind of operating layout every year since then.. :)

~~ Mikey

absnut

Back in the late 50's I started an HO layout but college, marriage, and kids put that on the back-burner. Then, in 1967, I discovered N scale and have been at it ever since. I've had five layouts in that time, including an 8 year period when I modeled British outline (don't know what to do with all these 4 wheel wagons!), and have accumulated over 160 locos, most of which still run, and I dunno how many pieces of rolling stock (pack-rat). When it comes to trains, I have the equivolent of a "see food diet": when I see food I eat, when I see trains, I buy! Probably should seek professional help with this problem...............

Dick

NYCentral

Dick, you and me both!!:eek:

My last count was 180 Loco's, over 100 structures, well over 300 pieces of rolling, well over 1000 figures and MANY boxes of misc items (trees, vehicles, etc..). No wonder my better half wants me to go to counseling:confused:

msh

BonkyRail Lines has been in operation since May, '02. Thanks to the mighty fine folks here and the other internet resources out there, we've gotten plenty of guidance and have made some most excellent progress.

Cheers to you all!

Vic

Started with an American Flyer layout when I was about 10 and can't remember ever not having trains since.

I guess that you can say I have been modeling most of my life. I don't remember not ever having a train. My dad and I started a layout but never finished it and it went to scrap, I had always wanted to build my own and just a few months ago I started my layout. Now, I don't know where I would ever be without this hobby, I think that I would be lost. It is a huge highlight for me.

Tankertoad70

Well, lessee here. Got m' first train set for my 5th birthday and am now 55!!! Reckon that places me in the 'greybeard' category.:eek: :)

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Got my first train set for my third Christmas. I started building structures for the layout my father built for me when I was about 8or 9. That puts me just shy of 30 years.

My grandmother gave me my first train set for Christmas when I was in second grade. Just a few months before that, my father had helped me build my first plastic model. It was the Nautilus submarine from the Disney movie 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (Now, is that dating myself or what!) Thanks to those two events, I have been modeling almost continuously for over 47 years now.

Of course, most of that time was spent building ships, planes, tanks, and - of course! - hot rods :cool:. But it was all good practice. I decided to get really serious about model building and turned to railroading for good in the '70's. So I guess I fall somewhere between Phil and Mikey.

Pooh Bah
I claim the same as tankertoad70.
I got my first electric train (Hornby) in 1950 (preceded by a number of windups) and my first Lionel in 1953. I switched to HO in 1960. From 1970 to 1982 I worked in N, then went back to OO.
And I'm also 55.

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
I got my first train when I was 6. A Triang O gauge clockwork with an oval track. It could go forward and reverse all at full speed.
Then when I was 10 I got the Hornby Dublo electric train with a fantastic Dutchess of Athol locomotive which I still have to this day.
I spent many years in HO but then was fascinated by those postage stamp sets with the teenie weenie track which led me into N gauge. Sold all my HO stuff.
If I had my rathers, and the finances and space, I would love to model O gauge. Thats not to be
Now that I am 65 I don't plan any changes in the future

pcentral

OK I tried to vote but my computer just got that same deer in the headlights blank stare as the last time I tried to vote on a poll here. So heres my vote: 20 to 30 years. Although I am 32 I have been modeling and playing with trains all my life. My Dad put trains up on display in the family business and one thing led to another and the business developed into 2 in 1. Since I was raised around it, I kind of ran the train part of the business. Over the years I have built around 15 to 20 layouts for myself or others in N, HO, O and G scales. I don't pretend to know everything about trains but try to keep informed on whats happening in the different gauges. As an ambassador for the Worlds Greatest Hobby program, I feel this is important.
Steve

Mike R

Been in Model Railroading for 55 years. Started at age 5 with British OO windup, then Trix Twin OO [AC 3-rail], then Marx.
Last 47 years are in HO.
regards / Mike

It has been 30 some odd years now, Dabbled in it a little before girls cam along then it was put aside, got moved to northern BC, Canada and got to know a man and wife who ran a hobby shop, that got me started again. Along came kids and spent more time with them than the hobby, they still are more important. Built several layouts white playing mr mon. Got moved several times and it was either down the layout came or the movers damaged it so badly had to start over again. As the kids got older, dad was no longer in the picture, except for money, so had a bit more time for the layout. Between work and looking after the farm I plan things out where family comes first, the farm, then at least one of my days off it is my day, if I would like to work on the layout I do or chace some trains, oh yea some where in there is work. Now with the fall and winter weather setting in and it gets darker sooner I have more of a chance of getting at the layout.
Its a hobby and its going to last me my life time, I may not be building a layoutbut I still will be watching the trains, either on the TV or the real thing. Ron..