How large is your layout?

RobertInOntario

Mar 22, 2006
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I have a 4x6' HO/OO layout that has kept me quite busy for the past two years, both in terms of creating scenery as well as in operating model trains. (I'm pretty much a "lone wolf" at the moment but would like to connect with other modelers in east Toronto.)

I was curious, however, to find out what are some of the other common layout sizes used by Gauge members? I know some folks have huge layouts that practically fill up entire basements, that require several operators. Others are maybe 8x10' while some might be tiny switching operations.

I would set this question up as a poll but I'm not sure how to divide up the voting options -- so I'll simply toss it out as a question.

The time will probably come when I'll want to build a bigger layout or expand my 4x6 somehow, although we don't have the room at the moment!

Thanks.

Rob

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
My layout was designed to occupy about 3/4 of the basement, and I designed and built the house with that in mind. However, after the benchwork was in, but before I began to install roadbed, about 250 square feet were lost to "other family uses" :rolleyes: , leaving me with an oddly shaped room of about 560 square feet. This resulted in a severely altered trackplan, with excessive grades and curvature. If I ever find the time, about 2/3 of the layout will be doubledecked. While the layout could probably support 2 or 3 operators, it's set-up to be a one-man show. Currently, it's point-to-point, with a staging yard at one end and a smaller staging area at the other. Double-decking will add a third "-to-point" destination, with another staging yard. There is provision for run-through operation, useful for when the grandkids come to play. :thumb:
My ideal layout room would be about 10' wide and 60' or 70' long. sign1

Wayne

N

nachoman

3'x6', in HOn3. I am considering a small yard extension. I do have two small spare bedrooms in the house. One is to become an office and the other probably a guest room. The layout is in with the office. I don't think I could go much bigger, though, even if I was to take up a whole room. I would not want the layout to block any windows, and I would also want someplace in the room to sit down. I could possibly squeeze a 4x8 somewhere...

kevin

myltlpny

Feb 18, 2007
Gloucester, VA
www.homesiteinc.com
Mine is about 11 x 13. Essentially, It's an elaborate double tracked figure eight, with a large intermodal yard (about 8 feet long or so) along one wall. I can easily run 3 trains by myself. I can add a fourth with a second operator. I have a couple of spurs to lay, but otherwise the trackwork is complete. Scenery is about half done. I do, however, need to correct a mistake I made when laying the double track mainline. I wasn't being careful enough I suppose and the two tracks get a bit too close around one of the bends.

RobertInOntario

Mar 22, 2006
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Thanks, guys. This is all interesting and I enjoy comparing these layouts.

Currently, I don't have a lot of space and usually have to put my 4x6' layout away after use (I lean the layout board against the wall and pack up my locos). The positive side of this is that my locos and stock are wrapped up and well-protected.

In other threads, I've asked members about converting attic or garage space into layout rooms but it's probably more practical for us to simply move -- in a few years -- to a much larger house. I'm sure I could easily "expropriate" some basement or spare bedroom space!

Another option to gain more layout space is to build an N gauge layout! But that means starting out from scratch when I have all this HO/OO stuff!

Thanks again, Rob

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
I have a 16x18' room but the layout occupies (nominally) 2 feet out from the wall.
Robert: I think you should book the Doubleheaders' home layout tour on your calender (March 31). A Saturday out in the Kitchener area and you get to see up to 40 layouts (look, nobody has ever managed to get to all 40 in one day!) and how they've been fitted in. And there's a wide variety of sizes.

http://www.trainweb.org/doubleheaders/dhsite.htm

RobertInOntario

Mar 22, 2006
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
60103 said:
I have a 16x18' room but the layout occupies (nominally) 2 feet out from the wall.
Robert: I think you should book the Doubleheaders' home layout tour on your calender (March 31). A Saturday out in the Kitchener area and you get to see up to 40 layouts (look, nobody has ever managed to get to all 40 in one day!) and how they've been fitted in. And there's a wide variety of sizes.

http://www.trainweb.org/doubleheaders/dhsite.htm

Thanks, David. I think I'd like that! I'd probably only get to 3-4 layouts though as I'd probably spend an hour at each one! I'll keep it in mind as we do occasionally visit K-W.

Rob

Renovo PPR

Just a Farmer
Dec 23, 2006
Somerset County PA
The way I figure it is that my layout size is 10 X 18. I have added a second tier of elevated track, which doubled the running space and adds a more dimensional approach to the ordinary loop. I have considered even adding another tier by incorporating higher mountains and steeper valleys.

With a head full of ideas I am quickly finding size is not limited to the actual floor space I have to work with. By using a wide assortment of curve sizes the sky is the limited for a layout design. The only limiting factor would be if you needed every rail line with large curves.

[FONT=&quot]I based my layout design on several different ones that I have looked at. I guess you can say that I kit-base my layouts together to make something that is unique to my taste. I just steal the good ideas from all of the ones that I like.[/FONT]

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Dec 4, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
4x8 in O27 gauge.
Not nearly as big as I had originally invisioned but having the 4x8 in the living room beats a 10x12 L-shape in a cold, damp basement with poor access and worse lighting.

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
currently i am living in a small apartment:rolleyes:, so at this time i have an 8' x 30'' switching layout. :D-Deano

Mannix

Apr 9, 2006
My HO layout is in "The Train Room" which is 9' X 19'. It is 3' wide on the one side and it runs 19'. The one end is 3' wide and runs 9', and the other side is 2' wide and runs 10'. The layout is built in the form of the number 6. I have the landscaping left to do, but that is not my favorite part of the hobby. I prefer laying track and doing the wiring. However, I started some landscaping yesterday.

paceway

Nov 25, 2006
My layout is going to be about 40' x 60' when I get done with it. The one section I am working on now is 14'x40'. The rest is in a "T" shape about 24'x46'. Late 1800 vintage narrow gauge looging & minning with some passenger service. I have lots of room for trees and landscape. That's the hard part.

The B & L Railroad & Minning Company is an on going project planned for the next five years. All track & switches are hand laid and buildings are scratch built.

I do have my work cut out....

Oh did I mension that it's g scale on almost 1/2 acre...

J. Steffen

Feb 3, 2007
Hemet, SoCal
4X16 oval with an inner line, smalll yard and a coulple of reversing loops. The track is permanently laid and I'm getting ready to wire the swithceh and the loops. I plan on separating the front section from the back section with tall hills or a butte that hopefully will give the impression that it actually goes somewhere.

RobertInOntario

Mar 22, 2006
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Mannix said:
My HO layout is in "The Train Room" which is 9' X 19'. It is 3' wide on the one side and it runs 19'. The one end is 3' wide and runs 9', and the other side is 2' wide and runs 10'. The layout is built in the form of the number 6. I have the landscaping left to do, but that is not my favorite part of the hobby. I prefer laying track and doing the wiring. However, I started some landscaping yesterday.

Sounds like a great layout. While I enjoy the trackwork, my favourite part is creating scenery. So I'm almost the opposite in that I know very little about wiring but like the artistic side of adding scenery. Maybe you could post some pics in the weeks/months to come? Cheers, Rob