How in the world am I gonna do this?

jflessne

I scored a great new job today. One problem. 90% of my work is from home!!!! Can anyone tell me why that's a problem? :rolleyes:

Maybe I can put a time lock on the train stuff.

I "have" to build a train to go around my home office right?

I'm doomed!

shaygetz

Just don't allow so much as a model train magazine or catalog in your home office, if possible, keep all model train work in a separate room away from anywhere you might go during your work "shift". I deal with it on my job as I essentially work at home in the apartment business:thumb:

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
I work from home and it's really tough to have the layout in sight and not be able to do much about it.

Jim Krause

A job is a job. A hobby is a hobby. And never the twain shall meet. That is unless you work in a hobby shop or for a model railroad magazine.

jflessne

IT business consulting. Small to medium businesses use me instead of hiring a local IT guy to sit around all day and surf. Mostly system admin stuff etc.

Little nervous as I have 30 accounts. :)

oldtanker

Jim when I was at Ft Bliss TX I knew a guy (civvy) who was big time into RC aircraft.....his job....flying RC stuff for the Air Defense Artillery School! What a life!

Rick

stripes

Life is good!

Jim Krause said:
A job is a job. A hobby is a hobby. And never the twain shall meet. That is unless you work in a hobby shop or for a model railroad magazine.

Yes, as I sit here in my bathrobe, working on Model Rail Structures, checking the forums
and planing what new structures to offer for 2007, I have to be gratefull!!!
My entire basement consists of work bench for modeling, layout, and home office! Wa Hoo!

David

Chessie6459

Gauge Oldtimer
oldtanker said:
Jim when I was at Ft Bliss TX I knew a guy (civvy) who was big time into RC aircraft.....his job....flying RC stuff for the Air Defense Artillery School! What a life!

Rick

That would be the perfect job for anyone. Getting to do that all day. That would be fun.:D

fsm1000

jflessne said:
IT business consulting. Small to medium businesses use me instead of hiring a local IT guy to sit around all day and surf. Mostly system admin stuff etc.

Little nervous as I have 30 accounts. :)

Sounds great. Wish I could get a job working at home. Being disabled even a small job would certainly help. Hey you need an assistant?:D

Jim Krause

fsm: Have you ever considered becoming a professional model builder? If you live in an urban area, you might look up Modelmakers etc in the phone book. Every major city usually has a few shops that cater to architects, engineering firms, inventors, real estate developers and the government. If you have sufficient skills in the field, you might be able to make arrangements to work from home if you have equipment.

hooknlad

Stephen - that is a mighty impressive website you have there - very informative. Good luck in your future endeavors. Your free tutorials and your Book are awesome.. Im sure someone here on THE GAUGE can assist you witha job or perhaps ideas where to look. The talent and resources on here are unbelievable and never ending. God Bless !!!

fsm1000

Jim I wish my skills were that good, but after going to train shows and seeing what is winning I am smart enough to know I am not in thier league. But thanks for the compliment [now the doorways are too tight LOL :D]

Michael wow thanks a lot for that. I really appreciate the feedback. Nice to see someone benefiting from the effort :)

Thanks a lot guys :)

As for someone helping me, I wish someone needed inventories or such done. Something that needs typing, my sweetie knows Word and excel REALLY well and would also like to work from home.

Anyhow, we will see what happens:)

Thanks again for the input, compliments and encouragements guys:)

Jim Krause

Oldtanker and chessie: They used to call those big model airplanes, RCAT's (radio controlled aerial targets) when I was in the army. The anti aircraft units used to shoot at them. Once a year we used to fly over the desert at Fort Irwin, looking for all of the ones that got away. They would crash land after running out of fuel but could be recycled.