How far from the edge?

gmbrd

Mar 28, 2002
Washington
Visit site
How far from the edge of your benchwork do you dare lay your track? I am planning for my track to run parallel as close as one inch from the edge.
:eek:
Too close?
What kind of safety measures could be used?

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
I have a few areas where the track comes almost that close to the edge. After one "accident" where a box car fell 58inches to the floor, I changed the fascia height so it comes up to a little higher than the track. Now if anything comes off the track it rolls onto its side but the fascia stops it from falling.

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Screw a piece of plexiglass to the front of the layout, that is at least a couple of inches higher than the track.

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Northern Rivers NSW Australia
gmbrd

I had no choice really. I run a HO 1.2m * 2.4m layout (4' * 8'), and you don't have much choice but to run the track around the edge. I don't have a real problem with that, except your track runs AROUND the scenery, and not THROUGH it. And like most others, I have had the occasional disaster into the "ravine"! :mad: On one side, the track cork roadbed is less than 2cm (3/4") from the edge.

RI541

Feb 20, 2002
Winchester N.H.
Visit site
I run N-scale and I needed the widest radius I could get out of 24". If you look closly you'll see my road bed is right on the edge. My plxi-glass fasia will come up about 4" above the tallest point of the hill. that will keep the train on the lay-out and will keep the cats of the lay-out.

Attachments

• picture 029.jpg
    picture 029.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 161

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
The new modules will have a dual gauge line 2.5" in from the edge, 35" off the floor. Just the right place for "young" viewers fingers to do their thing. I will definitely use plexiglass across the front.
Pete

farmer ron

Jan 18, 2002
B.C., canada
Visit site
I have a corner of a "y" that goes close to the edge, I also have a narrow isle way, I use a thin plexiglass. Mine goes aprox 3 inches above the base, that way if something does jump the track it will not clear the plexiglass. It also prevents some one from bumping trees etc as they walk down the narrow spot. Ron..

IMRL393

Aug 7, 2001
Visit site
I encourage SOME type of barrier if you run close to the edge - I had a beautiful Rock Island Rocket E8A locomotive totally destroyed by a fall.

:(

The fall was caused by a too low trip pin polevaulting the loco over the edge - at exactly the wrong place on the layout. Murphy's Law was in effect (as usual). I now check the pin height with the Kadee scale, and use the Kadee pliers or washers to adjust the height!

But despite these precautions, I think a barrier is needed for the OTHER reasons a loco or rolling stock might leave the track.

The plexiglass idea sounds like a good way to go!!!

- George

scoobyloven

Jan 13, 2002
zeeland michigan
Visit site
i'm working on my 3rd layout but this one is in n scale it is 6x6 with a 5x3 wing off the far back i am starting to cut all of my plexy glass for it to day a three day job.. i am making it 18 inches above my highest point and it's going to be all inclosed to keep little fingers and paws out of the real runing water that will be going in for my river and lake with will have guppys in it...