How ell to you know your Train Routes?

Renovo PPR

Just a Farmer
Dec 23, 2006
Somerset County PA
Which of the following are real train routes?

Alberta Prairie Railway Excursions
Flying Scotsman
Silver Streak
Taggart Comet
Orange Blossom Special
Super Chief
Glacier Express
Polar Express
Orient Express
Starlight Express
Rheingold Express
Hogwarts Express
Puffing Billy
Supertrain
The Canadian
Deccan Queen
Blue Train

Have some fun with it and try it without first looking them up.

How many can you get correct?

[FONT=&quot]GOOD LUCK[/FONT]

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Alberta Prairie Railway Excursions - I am guessing Alberta Prairie Railway...?!

Flying Scotsman

Silver Streak

Taggart Comet

Orange Blossom Special

Super Chief

Glacier Express

Polar Express - fictional (Polar BEAR Express - Ontario Northland ;))

Orient Express - Trans-Siberian Railways?

Starlight Express

Rheingold Express - Germany?

Hogwarts Express - fictional Harry Potter

Puffing Billy

Supertrain - "The Supertrain" ran once in Canada I believe. Saw some slides of it the other night at the club...

The Canadian - VIA Rail, formerly CPR

Deccan Queen

Blue Train

and a few others...

O-Train - Ottawa (Ontario, Canada) public transit - OC Transpo

my favourite looking train - circa 1930s streamlined 20th Century Limited and Mercury - New York Central

Andrew

N

nachoman

Polar expres is real. My brother drives that one to the north pole and back every november and december several times a night.

kevin

Renovo PPR

Just a Farmer
Dec 23, 2006
Somerset County PA
One thing to consider sometimes the route became the name of the train, other times the train became the name of the route. In any event the trains ran or did run these famous routes. You will find the same name both under famous trains and famous routes. :)

So it doesn't really matter to think either in terms of a train or a route to come up with the correct answers. :)

I will list them in a few days so a few more people can have fun and test their train skills.

trainwhiz20

Aug 9, 2004
Tampa, FL
Okay, I'll try it. I was planning on writing a book and was thinking of fictional train names, and in the process ended up doing a quite of bit of research. Let's see what I learned...

Renovo PPR said:
Which of the following are real train routes?

Alberta Prairie Railway Excursions - REAL
Flying Scotsman - REAL... the famous locomotive, of course.
Silver Streak - FICTIONAL, from the greatest train comedy of all time, Silver Streak with Gene Wilder and Richard Pryor. I'm a teenager and I love that movie!
Taggart Comet - FICTIONAL, from Atlas Shrugged, that popular novel that I have yet to read, but have heard about it. It involves I believe the Taggart Transcontinental Railroad, hence the Taggart Comet.
Orange Blossom Special - REAL, flagship train of the Seaboard from NY to FL.
Super Chief - FAKE? hahaha. Greatest. Train. Ever. Atchison Topekea and Santa Fe's LA-Chicago superfamous route. Gotta love Chico and the greatest western railroad of all time.
Glacier Express - REAL, I watched a documentary on this, the rail journey in the Swiss Alps. Not steam, unfortuantely, but awesome scenery.
Polar Express - BOTH. Chris Van Allsburg's train is fake, but many "real" Polar Express have been created by tourist railroads throughout the country around that fascinating time of year.
Orient Express - REAL. The most luxurious passenger train in history. I doubt this needs any explanation. Just ask Perot. Oh, wait, he's too busy solving a murder. :rolleyes:
Starlight Express - FAKE. Broadway music that defies railroading with odd rock music. I think.
Rheingold Express - Hmm..... no idea. I'm going to say real.
Hogwarts Express - FAKE. The now world renowned train that transports Harry to Hogwarts, the school of Witchcraft and Wizardry.
Puffing Billy - REAL. My second grade teacher rode this train when in Australia. Too bad I didn't get to.
Supertrain - FAKE. Short lived TV series about the ultimate "supertrain" on NBC... Pretty sure.
The Canadian - REAL. CN's cross country (now VIA's) Canadian train trip. Someday.
Deccan Queen - No clue.
Blue Train - REAL. The most desirable train in South Africa.

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

Triplex

Aug 24, 2005
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Silver Streak - FICTIONAL, from the greatest train comedy of all time, Silver Streak with Gene Wilder and Richard Pryor. I'm a teenager and I love that movie!
There was also a 1930s Silver Streak, where the titular train was a relettered Pioneer Zephyr.
Rheingold Express - Hmm..... no idea. I'm going to say real.
Definitely real, the most luxurious train in Germany.