How do you make working classification/marker lights?

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Hello!

I am trying my very first superdetailing project, on an Atlas U34CH. So far its gone along nicely. I've fixed the paint job so its correct, painted handraills, installe MU hoses, and all of that.

However, in real life, the U34CH had a red Marker light on the nose. So far i've filed down a Sunrise Enterprise's NP Uboat nose light to a pretty close representation ( i just need to do a little final touches). Originaly i figured i'd just put one of thsoe rhine stones in there, and that would be good enough. However, i'm a little more confident now that i've gotten this far.

would it be easy to install such a small light? is it with the risk to the model?

it also had Classification lights on the nose, is it worth it to try and model them as working?

I plan to move my locomotive fleet to DCC, so i figured it might be a good idea to get a little more out of my decoder, and to make my model more realitic.

from that point, the only major bug with my model are the vents on the side, but i'm to afraid to remove them, as they are cast on, and i don't want to do anything that would cause major damage if i messed up.

thanks for your adivce

chris

Ray Marinaccio

I have used fiber optic strands and LEDs for marker lights.
I drill a hole for the strand to go through then chamfer the hole for the bulb (which is made by heating the end of the strand) to recess into.
The tube is installed in the hole and glued in place. Then the free ends of the strands are fit into holes drilled into an LED. I sometimes glue these in place also.

BillD53A

To add to what was already said about fiber optics...heat one end of the fiber to form a lens. If you use open flame, like a match or candle, you will form a bell shaped lens...like the mouth of a trumpet. If you use radiant heat like a soldering iron or cigarette, a round bulb will form. I may have that backwards...try it and see.

MV Products makes headlight lenses that fit all available castings. They come in colors...try getting a red lens and drilling the back for an optic fiber, glued in with epoxy.

Bill

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Are their red lenses, or clear red paint? i have extra lights i ordere to replace a blown bulb on my SD75M. However, the bulb is the right size for the marker. it just needs to be red. is there anyway i can make it red?