How do you make snow?

lionelsteam

Jan 6, 2007
Does anyone know how to make like fake snow on a layout? My ideas were either cotton balls cause there white?? Possibly sprinkling baby powder on the roofs, but thats kinda messy. So anyone have snow on there layout?

Jim Krause

Apr 7, 2005
Polson, MT
There are several commercial products available. Check scenic materials manufacturers.
Someone had a good thread on snow on his layout just before Christmas.

Christopher62

Jan 12, 2006
Livonia, Michigan
This may be a silly question, but why can't you use that spray-on stuff that you use for Christmas trees? It's easy to apply, sticks well, and when it got dingy looking you could just spray on more.

Groove

Dec 30, 2004
We've used washing power quite successfully. One possible thing to watch out for is that some washing powers go blue when wet!

myltlpny

Feb 18, 2007
Gloucester, VA
www.homesiteinc.com
Woodland scenics makes snow in a shaker bottle. I've also seen baking powder used. The most ingenious detailing with snow I've ever seen involved latex caulking compound. It was easily formed into icicles and was stippled onto the front pilot of locomotives with a toothbrush to represent, very realistically, snow that had stuck to the front of the locomotive. It was also easily removed if you didn't want the effect any more.

davidstrains

Aug 29, 2002
Stafford, VA
Visit site
lionelsteam said:
Does anyone know how to make like fake snow on a layout? My ideas were either cotton balls cause there white?? Possibly sprinkling baby powder on the roofs, but thats kinda messy. So anyone have snow on there layout?

I have in the past used sifted dry plaster of paris to put on buildings for a temporary winter scene. When I was through with the "winter season" it vacuumed right off. I have seen wet plaster used on rock faces and on building roofs in more permanent scenes also. There are a variety of techniques in the Kalmbach scenery books. You might try a library to see if they have these in there collections.

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
I only use it for temporary posed shots but baking soda works great for me. Once sifted on it has a frosted glint to it and vacs up easily. Rand Hood did a series of articles in MR a few years back using products that were striking in their realism and permanent, might want to look up those articles.

snow.jpg

Christopher62

Jan 12, 2006
Livonia, Michigan
I still think I would try the spray-on snow that comes in a can and you use it on Christmas trees. Has anybody tried this? True it sticks and likely can't be removed easily. Then again that might be a plus depending on the situation.