How do you decide what tobuild next?

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by Kevin G, Jun 4, 2007.

1. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

To pick the next model, I dig through my electronic "pile of models" and see what strikes my fancy.

But, I too am generall remiss in thanking the designer, unless I know they are a member here. Usually this is because I have downloaded so many models, that by the time I build something, I forget where I got it from...
  2. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

To pick the next model, I dig through my electronic "pile of models" and see what strikes my fancy.

But, I too am generall remiss in thanking the designer, unless I know they are a member here. Usually this is because I have downloaded so many models, that by the time I build something, I forget where I got it from...
  3. sakrison

sakrison Member

"How do you decide what to build next?"

Eeny, meeny, miney, mo.....
  4. sakrison

sakrison Member

"How do you decide what to build next?"

Eeny, meeny, miney, mo.....
  5. dhanners

dhanners Member

A model has to be unique or it has to "move" me. Or it has to look "cool." Ideally, it is a unique, cool-looking model that moves me. Or it has to have some historical significance. My last three builds:

* EAS Agamemnon (from Jaybats) -- from "Babylon 5." I chose it because it looks cool and I've always wanted one.

* Apollo 7 CSM (from Surfduke) -- Historically significant, and it also falls into the "moved me" category because the mission commander was Wally Schirra. I had the honor of meeting him years ago.

* Proton/Breeze M (from Leo Cherkashyn) -- Historically significant, plus it looks cool.

Not sure of the next one I'll build, though.
  6. dhanners

dhanners Member

A model has to be unique or it has to "move" me. Or it has to look "cool." Ideally, it is a unique, cool-looking model that moves me. Or it has to have some historical significance. My last three builds:

* EAS Agamemnon (from Jaybats) -- from "Babylon 5." I chose it because it looks cool and I've always wanted one.

* Apollo 7 CSM (from Surfduke) -- Historically significant, and it also falls into the "moved me" category because the mission commander was Wally Schirra. I had the honor of meeting him years ago.

* Proton/Breeze M (from Leo Cherkashyn) -- Historically significant, plus it looks cool.

Not sure of the next one I'll build, though.
  7. badgerys

badgerys Member

As for what I will build next,I just play it by ear.Sometimes a model just jumps at me and I have to just build it.
    As for thanking the designer,I feel if somebody generously gives You a model that has taken up a long time for him or her to design,a thank you note is the very least we can do.It shows our appreciation for their hard work and their generosity.I will also always attach a photo of the model I have built.
    Kind regards from Down Under
    Dieter
  8. pashlispaht

pashlispaht Member

I have only built one downloaded model; I just like to have an actual book in my hands to read and review. I guess that is why I tend to do GPM and Halinski models because the quality of the printing and directions are usually first-rate. I have a large stack of models and I build based on things like if I have seen the particular vehicle in a show or movie. I have a large reference library on all kinds of military vehicles and aircraft and I usually spend weeks or months looking at my next choices and weighing my options; often while I am building another model. I purchased my current model, the Shipyard HMS Bellona during a deployment in Afghanistan and patiently ordered everything I thought I would need to complete the model including a spar kit, several reference books, and researched online to learn everything I could about British warships of the period. I was inspired by Scorpio's model of the HMS Victory and by my wife's desire for a ship model like the ships she had seen in the Pirates of the Carribean. But every model I build is different though.
  9. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

I have thank many designers from their models, and this creates a very good friendship, which in turn makes them ask me to help them on beta builds or photos for them. It's a great life-cycle to have many models to build for the coming months, thus, I don't have a problem on thinking what am I going to do next.

The other day I mentioned my wife "I have to build this and that, because I have to take them to the museum or to the club or to the Summer Camp..". And she told me, "hold on! don't take this as a MUST, it's only a hobby". And I replied, "sorry I sounded like a MUST, it is not. I really enjoy every one of them, and having them in the pipeline, gives me a sense of accomplishment too".

So, you can always find ways to fill up your to-do list.
  10. DrBill

DrBill Member

Some of the best help you can give a designer is feedback on actually building his or her design. I usually try to send a note to a designer who has produced something really nice, directly or through the distributor who provided it (e.g., DeWayne Barnett).
  11. alaimo@jcu.edu

alaimo@jcu.edu I need a Pin up girl. . .

As for thanking, If I like the free model, or the site I will ussually try to "buy" at least one model...I figure, the freebies are there to entice to buy, so if I buy therfore they are thanked...thats my thinking at least...
    I pick the next model in 1 of two ways, what would be a challenge to convert or adapt to real flight, and or whenever my 6yr old son says "Dad, will you build this one next please? PLEASE DAD< PLEASE< PLEASE<PLEASE DAD THIS ONE NEXT PLEASE"...:)
  12. alaimo@jcu.edu

alaimo@jcu.edu I need a Pin up girl. . .

I will Thank MurphyAA and CHip when the 321 and 323 are done, I want to build those so much!,,Hint Hint, wink, wink. . .:)
  13. badgerys

badgerys Member

G'Day Milenio!
    You hit it on the head.
    The secret of happiness is to do the things You want to do ,rather than doing the things You have to do.
    Kind regards from Down Under
    Dieter

14. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

Thanks, Dieter. I think that's what keeps me alive too.