How Do You Cut Facia?

Hoss

Nov 10, 2003
TEXAS
Visit site
I'm getting ready to install my facia board (1/8" masonite) on the front of the layout and I'm wondering what everyone here uses to cut it to match the contour of the elevations. Any help? I wouldn't think a utility knife would cut it and you can't follow the contours very well with a skilsaw. Are y'all using a jig saw for these cuts?

C

Catt

Yep,or rather I will be.Due to the way my layout is constructed the top of my fashia is fairly straight.THere will be a couple places where it will drop down and these will be done with my jigsaw .

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
I use my sabre saw too. Here's a photo of part of a fascia, I still have to fill in the 1/2" between the fascia and the scenery. I also used the fascia as the damn for pouring the river, mentioned on a recent thread about preparing damns for pouring water.

Attachments

• p1010391jpg.jpg
    p1010391jpg.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 232

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
I used a jigsaw to cut mine out, then put the scenery in to match it.
shamus

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Hoss, Jig saw here too. I've often made a cardboard template first to be sure it was accurate. By the way Gary, I NEVER get tired of seeing your river scene shots!!!!!
Ralph

Hoss

Nov 10, 2003
TEXAS
Visit site
Thanks for the replies everyone. I figured a jig saw was the best way to go but thought maybe someone had a secret better way or something. Jig saw it is...and I'll probably use Shamu's method of cutting the facia and then making the contours fit it.

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Thanks Ralph! After taking most of the summer off, I've started back to work on this scene. Working on the structure to the left in the picture. When I get it done, I won't have to lean over the foreground anymore, so can finish detailing it.

Gary

F

Fred_M

New facia

Here 's a idea for an item I'm using with great results. I use Armstrong 12X12 self adhesive floor tiles for facia. They come in lots of patterns, are cheap, easy to cut with a knife, and look nice. I'll post a picture later, left my camera at home today. DASH10