How do I re-letter my Locos

custom1106

I have a bunch of mix and match HO equipment that I want to paint and re-letter to match. I have heard about dry transfer, but have no idea how to do it. I have a Hobby Bench and a JoAnn fabrics nearby. What do I need to start my project?

Thanks for the info...
Custom

capt_turk

I ain't no x-purt, but here's how I do it. I go the the LHS and buy a sheet of dry transfers the size I want. After removing any old lettering, clean it good. I use a strip of pin striping tape to mark where the bottom of the lettering goes. Hold the transfer sheet over the loco using the pinstripe to line up the bottom of the letter. Then I take a wooden dowel or rounded off pencil and rub lightly back and forth over the letter making sure I've rubbed till I see all the letter has transfered. You will see like a color change when it transfers. Carefully remove the transfer sheet, watching that the transfer doesn't try to lift with it. After all the lettering is transfered, spray a couple of light coats of Dulcote or clear to lock the letters in place. Oh, gotta remove the pinstripeing before you Dulcote.
Anyway, dat's how I do it. Seems to work!

capt_turk

Oh, a note about the pinstriping tape. It sticks feroiusly as it comes off the roll. It will lift any new paint. I run my fingers back and forth over the tape a few times to kill most of the stickem so it won't lift the paint. Remove the tape as soon as you have the transfers done. Another tape I use is the blue masking tape that body shop people use that is made not to lift paint. Good luck!