How do I make homade snow dust?

jm52

Dec 3, 2006
Is there a simple recipe for homemade snow to scatter over scenery?

N

nachoman

welcome to the gauge!

to answer your question, it depends. Do you want this to be a permanent addition to the scenery, or just somethng for a temporary christmas display?

kevin

jm52

Dec 3, 2006
Hi to everyone, I forgot my manners and didn't even introduce my self on my first post.

I have been re-model railroading for about 2 years. The last time was about 30yrs ago. I have a shelf layout around my 10' x 10' office with 2 concentric squared off loops, HO.

I have "ceiling tile made rock formations and would like to add a permenant dusting of snoww to the landscape. I know I can buy commercially made snow, but I would rather make a homemade version if just to enjoy that part of the hobby also, even if it's not quite as realistic as store bought, plus I don't have to go out in the cold to get it.

Any help appreciated!,

Thanks ahead of time,

:wave: Jack

N

nachoman

I have taken and painted the ground white with latex paint, and sprinkled on fine clear glitter, sometimes called "diamond dust", while the paint is still wet. It looks okay, but looks more suitable to the holiday christmas display. I have also misted the scenery with water and sifted on dry plaster. My experience is this looks a little too globby, and the thin layer of plaster easily flakes off. I havent tried the woodland scenics stuff, but I hear it does okay.

kevin

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
A few years ago Rand Hood did an article in Model Railroader on making believable winter scenes. Perhaps one of our Gaugers will remember what issue and note it here. He did more believable snow and ice than any other treatment of the subject I've ever seen. One thing is to model the scenery under the snow first. Generally unless you just had a blizzard or are modeling Alaskan tundra, the ground will show through here and there in any winter scene. After you model the scene without snow, mix plaster powder with powdered marble dust (available at craft stores I think), and sprinkle the mixture over wet scenery. The idea is to let the plaster soak up the moisture and "set" without being smoothed in place like you would normally do with plaster. The marble dust is there to add a bit of the "sparkle" given off by snow reflecting sunlight.

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2002
Big Valley, California
Sometime in the very recent past I saw a forum thread on how one guy did it. Looked fabulous. He sprays the layout with a fine mist of water and then uses a flour sifter to sprinkle plaster of paris over the portions of the layout he wanted to be snowed in. After the plaster layers he added another shot of mist and repeated until he had th ebuild up he wanted. Only problem is I can't find the thread and am not even sure it was here on The Gauge.
Doc

jm52

Dec 3, 2006
Thanks Everyone!,

Now I have some ideas to start experimenting with, exactly what I wanted.

Thanks again,

Jack