how did they do it?

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by uglyguy9, Sep 20, 2008.

1. uglyguy9

uglyguy9 Member

hi everyone,
    does anyone know how the astronauts (apollo missions) climbed from the lem through the re-entry capsule to the service module? was there a hatch in the floor (opening through the heat sheild?)
    :confused:
    regards y'all
    phil
  2. littlemodeler

littlemodeler Member

um i don't think there was access to the Service Module. their only access was through instrumental readings on panels that showed data from sensors in the SM. the only accessible areas where the CM and the LEM.
  3. uglyguy9

uglyguy9 Member

cm meaning re-entry capsule?
    ok...so after they took off they had access to the lem only (after the docking procedure) and they climbed through the roof hatch to get there (where the parachutes were kept?)
    ritchie cunningham has a lot to answer for.....in the movie apollo 13 he makes it look very "tardis-like"
    still....... a great movie
    thanks
  4. right below their feet was a tunnel leading to a hatch that connected the two vehicles together. After they were in the lem the hatch was closed on both sides. This would be the pointed end of the command module not the heat shield.
  5. littlemodeler

littlemodeler Member

no problem...basically the CM (command module) is also the re-entry capsule. the LEM they jettison before the re-enter the atmosphere. the parachutes where kept on the outside of the tunnel in the CM but is covered by the metal cone (the outer shell of the CM). the top of the metal cone seperates from the capsule at a certain altitude to release the parachutes and expose the mortar cans, etc... thats why if you look at the CM in orbit it is a nice cone whereas in the post flight pics where the CM is on display at a museum, all those instruments at the top of the CM is showing.
  6. uglyguy9

uglyguy9 Member

ah.....i see...post and pre
    thanks guys....allways a wealth of information
    :wave:
  7. joeblow321

joeblow321 Member

The astronauts on Apollo could not get into the service module. They were docked to the LEM from the front to their capsule. They then had a tunnel that they transfer to and from each of the spacecraft. During the last 3 Apollo moon missions they made a space walk (EVA) to retrieve film from a science package build into the service module. Here is link to Space facts with diagram how they were docked ( http://www.spacefacts.de/english/flights.htm ) Hope this helps.
  8. uglyguy9

uglyguy9 Member

great site joeblow!
    i also picked up some great dvd's entitled "NASA 25years" 3 dvd's covering everything up untill the space shuttles.....some fantastic footage of the lem re-docking with the cm after the moonwalk....almost continueous film taken from the cm following the lem as it rises from the moon and docks.....great stuff!
  9. Robot Exodus

Robot Exodus Member

Hey joeblow, that's an awesome site. I wonder why they left out Alan Shepard's historic sub-orbit flight, though (he was the first American in space).

And as an answer to your question, uglyguy9, the Apollo astronauts could not get into the Service Module. Although some movies and dramatizations (Apollo 13 included) may make the Apollo spacecraft look spacious, the only two compartments that the crew can enter are the Command Module (the capsule) and the Lunar Module. The Lunar Module was discarded in lunar orbit after rendezvous. The Service Module was discarded right before reentry. Therefore, the Command Module is the only part of the entire ship that survived every Apollo Mission.
  10. joeblow321

joeblow321 Member

"Hey joeblow, that's an awesome site. I wonder why they left out Alan Shepard's historic sub-orbit flight, though (he was the first American in space)."

Sorry about that. That was only the page to show the orbital flights Here is link to full web site http://www.spacefacts.de/

Look under suborbital.

I thinks this is a great site for info about the space program.
  11. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

Does anyone know of a saggital section view of the CM and LEM showing how the tunnel connected? It's hard for me to wrap my head around the design.
  12. Robot Exodus

Robot Exodus Member

Well this is the best I could find...

http://www.hq.nasa.gov/office/pao/History/diagrams/apollo.html

There are lots of cross sections and diagrams there, but none of the LM and the CSM attached to each other.

But here's a CG image of the LEM attached to the CSM.

http://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/models/vault/csm%20lm%20in%20orbit.jpg

In actuality though, the legs of the LEM would be folded down unless the crew is ready to land on the moon (which is probably the case in the pic).
  13. mvink

mvink Member

I couldn't find an actual cross section drawing of the docked CSM/LM in any of my documentation, but I did find a drawing of the docking procedure. Hope this helps.

Mike

Attached Files:

14. Robot Exodus

Robot Exodus Member

Where did you get this? :eek:
  15. mvink

mvink Member

I've got all kinds of manuals in PDF format on the space program.
    PM me for more info.

Mike
  16. underwoodl06

underwoodl06 Member

Here is my question about the Docking procedure,

After docking, How did the astronauts get the tunnel open with the docking probe in the way?
  17. underwoodl06

underwoodl06 Member

Thanks for the info :D