How Critical Is Sub-Roadbed?

Lighthorseman

Jul 24, 2002
Out in the sticks
Visit site
Here's one of those questions that gives away the fact that I'm a newbie. The question relates to the modular layout I'm building. Is the only advantage of the Homasote-type (or cork, for that matter) sub roadbed to dampen noise? If so, is there really much need for this stuff on a layout that will be run in a noisy train-show environment?

Essentially, would it be okay to attach the code 100 Peco On30 flextrack right to the plywood trackbase? I'd hate to have to tear everything up later on because I did not ask and listen to sage advice.

I posted this question elsewhere, so I appologize for the duplicate threads on different fora. :p

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
The other advantage of cork or homasote is to serve as roadbed (not subroadbed) If you want your track at ground level, not elevated, then there is no reason to use roadbed. Just to clarify, subroadbed is your plywood, foam, pine or what have you. It serves as a sturdy (hopefully!) base for the track. Roadbed is cork, homasote, etc, and provides the raised above ground level look so typical. But not so typical for narrow gauge I guess. Sound issues aside, roadbed is a cosmetic decision.

Gary

Lighthorseman

Jul 24, 2002
Out in the sticks
Visit site
Aha!

Gary H Pfeil said:
... Just to clarify, subroadbed is your plywood, foam, pine or what have you...

Gary

Oops! Well, you've helped me in two areas, Gary. Many thanks! I wasn't sure if the roadbed (see? learning already! :thumb: ) served another important function.

Since I love the clickety-clack sound anyway, and I'm modelling narrow gauge where there really is no elevated roadbed, I guess I'll put the track right on the plywood. Perhaps I'll just tack it down and run trains first in order to see if there is a noise problem. If not... :)

Thanks!

SAL Comet

May 13, 2004
N.W. Georgia
Ha Steve, If you like the clickey-clack sound, I have a friend that used a razor saw to make a small cut in the rail head every 29 scale feet. It is a nice effect if you model the days before continuous rail.

Tileguy

Apr 28, 2003
Northern Mn
Visit site
Even Narrow gauge railroads built up thier roadbeds.
The decision is yours of course but not raising it will affect everything.Many kit buildings as an example that have loading ramps and freight docks assume a raised roadbed.
If you are going to have sidings or spurs, having these lower than the mainline looks nice and they can be ramped down.
If your taking this to a show,I would think you would want to show a best effort module.Dont be in a hurry,if you dont want to use commercially available roadbed, try using Sheetcork cut into strips as an alternative.

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Steve, I recently did a little experiment to see what the sound-dampening qualities were of foam, cork and homasote as opposed to bare plywood. Maybe I'm getting deaf in my old age but I couldn't hear any difference.

However, having spiked directly to plywood I can say it is no picnic. The spikes would go in about halfway and then they would bend. I ended up pre-drilling every single spike hole!!! Did I save time? Nope!!! Do I wish I'd used homasote? Yep!!

Another factor to consider for mobile layouts is, as Russ mentioned, weight. Maybe instead of plywood you should use foam - the pink or blue stuff, not white.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Val

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
If you're going in with others on your modular setup, you need to find out what the group standard is.
As for sound deadening, I was a one layout where the owner had finished ballasting the station section, but the rest of the layout was just on roadbed. The trains were perfectly silent until they got to the station and then there was a racket -- transmitted from track to subroadbed by the glued together ballast.