How about a tips-n-tricks thread

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Originally posted by Catt!

Like anybody got any tips on how to make styrene look like wood?

To make styrene look like natural weathered wood I first paint it with Testors PLA Enamel wood color (the one in the little square bottle).
While its still a bit sticky brush it with black and/or gray chalk. I like to combine the two. The effect you get depends on how "heavy" you are with the chalks.

Used that "el cheapo" paint because it stays "tacky" for awhile and binds the chalks real good.

See my post under scratching and bashing about the fireworks stand for a pic.

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Getting Styrene To Look Like Wood

I've found different techniques work for different scales...
Fo HO scale, I think the best way to rough up the plastic is by dragging a razor saw blade sideways in the direction of the grain.
This method, though tends to be a little too coarse looking in N scale. For the smaller scale wood look, I like to use a medium grit sand paoer to distress the plastic. I always do this before I do any painting. I start the painting by spraying the work flat black, & then dry-brushing on gradually lighter shades of acrylics.
This gives you a lot of control over how much weathering you have...you can stop when you have a new-looking piece of wood, or keep going until you've got something that looks like it's been out in the elements for a long time.

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Something Else

While poking around in the tool dept of one of those $1.00 stores I found some packages of what looked like oversized toothbrushes. On closer inspection it turned out that they had steel bristles and are some kind of clean-up brush. :)

They work quite well for distressing both wood and styrene. :D

Later I saw them in the MicroMark catalog but they weren't 6 for $1.00....:eek:

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Thought I'd try to show the process for turning a shiney green, plastic fence into a "wooden" fence.
Here's the fence I found in my scrap box...I"m not sure where it came from, but it scales out to be about 7 1/2' tall in N scale, which is a tad too tall for what I want.

Attachments

• mvc-020f.jpg
    mvc-020f.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 124

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
...so I trimmed it lengthwise, & about a foot or so off the height.
Then I used a piece of sandpaper to rough it up a little.

Attachments

• mvc-021f.jpg
    mvc-021f.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 125

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
After that, I brushed on a very thin wash of Floquil Engine Black.

Attachments

• mvc-022f.jpg
    mvc-022f.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 124

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Next, I dry-brushed with Polly Scale, RR Tie Brown, Dirt, & Aged White (in that order)
I also used a small file to "break" some of the boards at the top of the fence.

Attachments

• mvc-023f.jpg
    mvc-023f.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 121

Matt Probst

Mar 15, 2002
Hershey,Pa.
Visit site
That's a cool idea... I'm in the process of scratchbuilding a flour mill from plans I found in an old 1976 MR that was laying around and was trying to figure out how to make the window muntins for it. Does anyone have any other methods that have worked?

Thanx in advance

Matt-Chocolatetown, Pa.