Hot Rodding??

Hi all,
I've been searching without much success for a picture of the brake rodding and airline layout for the underframe of a truss-rod type car. It's an old Westerfield pickle car kit with Cal-Scale Westinghouse KC brake equipment, and the instruction sheet is somewhat vague on the details. Anybody have an idea?
Thanx :) :)

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Hi Cid, Other than the fact that the KC system was banned from use in 1953 this is all that I could find.

Attachments

• 290.jpg
    290.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 201

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Sorta Stumped ???

Originally posted by N Gauger

Ok Vic - for us people that weren't around in '53, Why for was it banned??? :D :D :D

Thanks (as always) in advance....... :)

Hi Mikey....In 1953 I was but a wee 8 year old:D :D :D

But...this one has kinda got me stumped:eek: :confused: It appears that the Westinghouse AB system was required on all new cars built as of 1941. The FRC (Federal Railway/Railroad Commission????) issued an order effective August 1953 that cars with the KC system were banned from interchange service.

Now just why I haven't been able to deterimine.:confused: From what I have read so far the AB system was vastly superior and much more reliable but beyond that I have yet to determine the exact reason for the ban.

All of my model narrow gauge cars (D&RGW) seem to have the KC system but then again they were not used in interchange service and even though the D&RGW NG lasted well into the 60's.

Probably the answer is buried in some governmental/railroad/Westinghouse archives somewhere but I'm gonna save this one for a rainy day LOL!!!!