Hornby "00" on US Tracks

dugnut

I am interested in purchasing a starter set and would like it to run both HO and 00. Does such a thing exist and who are the best manufacturers?

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Its many a year since I had 00 . At that time the track had a third rail down the middle. There were sliders under the loco which picked up current that way. So these wouldn't be compatible with HO. Now I don't know what todays 00 looks like.

F

Fred_M

Jon Grant would be the mate to ask, he's into HO and OO bigtime. I will pm him and ask him to answer you. Fred

Dragon

The closest to OO I have is an old Rocket engine and combine set. Yes it does fit HO scale, and (for this model only) seems not to overhang too far on the sides, but it is very obviously larger than "HO Scale" (meaning 1/87). I'll try to grab a quick pic of it compared to my Bachmann John Bull.

If you really want to run both, you could probably get away with it (except for the rivit counters, but I don't worry about them). Just make sure any scenery is far enough from the rails to allow for clearance of the OO stuff.

Michael

Pooh Bah
The modern OO trains operate quite well on HO track. We OO users tend to use a lot of Peco finescale or, at least, fine standard. The older OO toy trains seemed to have no set standards -- even in one manufacturer. I have contemporary locomotives (of each other) and some will go through the switches and some won't.
The biggest OO manufacturers (ready to roll) are Hornby, Bachman, Dapol The Bachman and Dapol are pretty good for running although you occasionally have to pull the wheels wider. Hornby can be inconsistent, as the newer stuff is finer that old stuff still in the catalog.

Robin: we are running the modern OO stuff at the train show this weekend. And the Hornby Dublo group is running the old 3-rail.

Jon Grant

Dugnut,

Modern OO trains by manufacturers such as Hornby, Dapol and Bachmann UK, are 100% compatible with HO track and DC power systems.

The main problem you could encounter is that the OO stuff is 4mm-foot, as opposed to HO's 3.5mm-foot, so the OO stock could bump platform edges, bridges and tunnel mouths. This shouldne be a problem as American clearances are bigger than the UK equivalent.

Hope this helps.

Jon

Jon Grant

Slightly different, but the same basic principle. Here's some pics of American HO on my British OO layout.

aak.sized.jpg

aad.sized.jpg

Jon