Hoping for more ...

Mastiffdog

Sep 7, 2003
I belong to two forums: Railroad.net and this one. Seems like both forums are very quiet and needs some dynamite to ignite these boards.

How about some friendly controversy? For example:

1. How do you react when members of your local train club come dressed in striped Engineer Overalls and hat with all the little souvenier pins on it?

2. Do you resent some of the so-called "high quality" rolling stock that retails for $25-30 per car that is actually made in China?

3. What about "the guy" who stands at the hobby shop counter that knows everything, buys nothing and then interfers by criticizing your purchases and will eagerly tell you the "right" items to buy.

C'mon, let's get off the couch and give us your opinion on any one of the 3 questions, or how about all 3!

Dog

>>1. How do you react when members of your local train club come dressed in striped Engineer Overalls and hat with all the little souvenier pins on it?

This obviously upsets you. Why? Do you get uptight about the guy wearing the colors and number of his favorite team player? Of course you don't. If an individual chooses to wear a vest or engineer's cap, that should have no effect on you. You don't have to. It doesn't bother me one way or the other as long as the individual is neat and clean and doesn't want to force me to do the same.

>>2. Do you resent some of the so-called "high quality" rolling stock that retails for $25-30 per car that is actually made in China?

No. I just won't buy it and not because it is made in China, but because I consider it overpriced. Others will by it because they are not interested in doing the detailing that would be involved in producing a model like it. Oh, well...

>>3. What about "the guy" who stands at the hobby shop counter that knows everything, buys nothing and then interfers by criticizing your purchases and will eagerly tell you the "right" items to buy.

I think that he does more harm to the hobby than good. He certainly isn't helping the hobby shop owner either. Ignore him.

How's that?

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
1. Heck! If he can put up with my oil and grease stained overalls
then I'll put up with his clean ones and his shiney pins:D

2. When I spend $25-$30 for a rolling stock kit (HOn3) you can
rest assured that it wasn't made in China and that I'm gonna
get $25 worth of enjoyment outta building it. Besides, once
I have the plans its no big deal to scratch build more of them.
Kit manufactures just love me don't they?:D :D

3. The "Know-It-All"? Shoot!!! I don't worry about him. I've
forgotten more about model railroading then he will ever know
anyway. Wanna bet he can't spend 5 bucks at the LHS without
asking his wife's permission first?:D :D :D

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
1. Your point is???

When I spend $25-$30 for a rolling stock kit (HOn3) you can
rest assured that it wasn't made in China and that I'm gonna
get $25 worth of enjoyment outta building it. Besides, once
I have the plans its no big deal to scratch build more of them.
Kit manufactures just love me don't they?
It's even better when I can get the plans from someone who has already got the kit!:D :D

3. Opinions are like --------, everyone has one. Everyone else, on the other hand, can chose to ignore them. Every know-it-all, actually does know something. The trick is, picking that something out from the rest of the nonsense.

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Originally posted by sumpter250

3. Opinions are like --------, everyone has one.

Now I have heard tell that a buzzard doesn't have one:eek: :D and that's why they regurgitate after a meal...I dunno... I ain't never bothered to look...don't think that I will either:D :D :D :D

Seriously, everyone has something to offer...don't sell anyone short!!!:) He may have the answer to your problem.:D

But as a wise sage once said...."Never argue with an idiot...He will beat you to death with his experience".:D :D :D :D

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com

1. How do you react when members of your local train club come dressed in striped Engineer Overalls and hat with all the little souvenier pins on it?

I'm the only one in my club, so I dress however I like, if at all :D :D :D

2. Do you resent some of the so-called "high quality" rolling stock that retails for $25-30 per car that is actually made in China?

Rollin' stock? You must be mistaken, sir, yer talkin' 'bout lokeys. I do buy the $25 lokeys :D :D :D and they are swell.

3. What about "the guy" who stands at the hobby shop counter that knows everything, buys nothing and then interfers by criticizing your purchases and will eagerly tell you the "right" items to buy.

I think Jack would toss him out. I guess I would ignore him. Vic - I heard it as, "Never argue with an idiot, he'll drag you down to his level and beat you with experiance!"

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Ok,I will join in on this fun topic.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well,I say to each their own but I would not dress that way in a thousand years.And yes we have 3 members that we jokingly call Engineer Bob and they respond(usually) that you guys look more like modern run of the mill truckers then REAL railroaders..:D
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
While I have some of these high dollar cars that still need KD couplers added after paying that high price,I much prefer my good old Athearn and Accu Rail cars.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For these cats I just roll my eyes and usually say So? Who cares? You do know these are nothing but toys for Adults Right? I find that usually shuts them up in a hurry...;) :D

Mastiffdog

Sep 7, 2003
I am in California - the land of controversey and intrigue. I am so grateful that we have had six responses to these issues. The reactions, especially about the engineer costume are particularly interesting.

My intent is just to get some new discussions going and have some good fun. Aren't you tired of comparing the LHS to Mail Order and the Internet?

Here are my opinions:

1. If the guy who wears the engineer garb to meetings has gotten over himself (happens around 50, after your wife has hammered you over your train acquistions for years) and can make light of it, you gotta love him. On the other hand, if he stresses his own self importance and really believes that he is a engineer, then he might need a session or two with his local therapist.

2. Frankly, even though I do own the high priced cars from China, I hate it. Last thing I want to do is support a US company that takes work from the U.S. and farms it out to another country that treats their employees like crap and pays them very little.

3. This guy is nauseating and needs to somehow get a life. I like going to the hobby shop too, but like most of you, I have other things to do than be a "sidewalk superintendent" in someone elses establishment.

Dog

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
1. I hang a garland of garlic and a picture of Loyd Bridges on the door. That usually drives 'em off.

2. Too busy to worry about it. Still hackin' and kitbashin' away on all those well built cheap Athearns that everybody is selling on Ebay to pay for their new $25-30 Chinese cars.

3. "Yes, that's a great idea, I'll keep that in mind." Momma raised me to be polite. At 43, she'd still whop me upside the head if I wasn't.

Summit

May 12, 2003
Elko, NV
www.trainweb.org
Wish I could respond to the first and the third subjects in your post, but at present I live around 180 miles from the nearest hobby shop (of any kind) and 230 miles from the nearest club (of any kind), so I don't get to experience the people in railroad garb or know-it-alls in hobby shops.

As for the pre-built cars, I stay away from them. I get a lot more bang for my limited bucks with the cheaper Athearn and MDC kits. To me, they look as good as the built up cars, plus they are a lot of fun to upgrade (if I choose to do so).

Respectfully,

Summit
Elko, NV

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
1. I don't belong to a club, but I have seen lots of those guys with the engineer's cap and red vests covered in little badges at train shows. They're funny-lookin'!

2. Why would I resent a boxcar??? I have much better outlets for my resentment than that!

3. I blame their parents for not telling them that nobody likes a know-it-all! I guess that's at least one thing they don't know. So then they're not really know-it-alls after all. Wait, what was the question again?

:D Val

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
1. This is the only club I belong to. I haven't seen anyone wearing striped hats with pins in the chat room yet.

2.I like the $25- $30 pieces of rolling stock. And though I don't have a whole unit train of them, It doesn't bother me where they are made.

3. The guy behind the counetr usually keeps his opinion to himself, especially when I'm handing portraits of dead presidents to him.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
1. I've been given FIVE striped engineer's hats as gifts from well meaning friends. I put them on when I first get them and then store them in the closet. :)

2. For $25 I am usually able to buy four or five decent freight cars at one of the occasional model railroad flee markets...some with magnetic couplers. (see pic: $7.50 for the pair)

3. I'd say "Whatever works for ya pal" and finish my transaction. One can run across folks like this in virtually any situation

Gee, I haven't found the Gauge that quiet myself. Plenty of good stuff going on all the time.

Ralph

Attachments

• a1.jpg
    a1.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 217

IAIS 604

Aug 31, 2003
Visit site
1. I'm not a member of a club - and this doesn't happen in MY train room! I DO have a ROCK ISLAND pin and mug .....

2. EVERYTHING except KADEE and KATO is made in CHINA! I don't mind a $25 rolling stock if it has KADEE, ATLAS, KATO or WALTHERS (for passenger cars) on the box! Then I know I'm getting my monies worth in terms of very exact detail.

3. Well, every one had their area of expertise. If they know what they are talking about, I appreciate the info. When they step into my area, I correct them if they are wrong! It's a learning situation. But this rarely happens in my usual LHS. We are usually too busy drooling over the other person's purchases! In the other LHS, MRRers have to correct the store staff and try to prevent them from pushing Model Power and other junk on new-bees! That and not telling you about the $6 fee for using a credit card (with no discount!). I won't be back to THAT store!

4. How about some other discussion items - like the fan errors on the new P2K GP38-2 or the RI GP18 or why Kato can't seem to find the right color shade?

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
George ask:
How about some real discussion items - like the fan errors on the new P2K GP38-2 or the RI GP18 or why Kato can't seem to find the right color shade?
Well,George,Since a very select few has seen that GP38-2 perhaps they are waiting to see and measure the fans for their selves I know I am..As far as that GP18 fan problem after market detail fans(48") from Details West will cure that problem..As far as Kato? Who knows? Kato knows their loyal customers will buy them anyway.:D

Now,If those fans are indeed incorrect,I am sure there is a easy fix..Then one must ask why do that when Athearn produces a correct GP38-2 for 1/3 the price? :confused:

IAIS 604

Aug 31, 2003
Visit site
Here is the photo Jim Six (of MR fame) made of a production model of Life Like's new P2K GP38-2. The model was sent to a LL contributor in advance of the bulk shipment (which is now due in November).

Jim says that the scale shows that the 48" fan measures 42", or 17% too small. You can see for yourself.

Another problem he found was that the fan spacing was also incorrect, which might mean that a replacement fan would not fit.

So ... why buy the P2K over the Athearn? Well, for me, the Athearn model is not correct, either! To detail the Athearn GP38-2 for the Rock Island (I have one I am currently doing) will cost me a bit over $60. And this is not the FULL superdetail job needed as shown in the March 1999 edition of "Railmodel Journal."

In addition, the P2K will come with proper directional lighting (not fire in the cab), has easy conversion to DCC (the DH163LO is plug and play - I have used it on several P2Ks - the Athearn conversion is much harder), and hopefully will need a lot less added parts (besides the fans) to bring to RI specs, as the P2K detail is MUCH better than the Athearn blue box.

Also, the word is that this P2K model has an improved drive system!

So I still have high hopes for the model, despite the fan problem.

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Originally posted by IAIS 604
4. How about some other discussion items - like the fan errors on the new P2K GP38-2 or the RI GP18 or why Kato can't seem to find the right color shade?

42"...46"...yikes, as a former member and President Emiritus of "Rivetcounters Anonymous" I pass my crown on to you. Excuse me while I finish painting my Athearn DD40 in Auto-Train purple, red and white. :eek: ;) :p :D :rolleyes:

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Originally posted by IAIS 604
2. EVERYTHING except KADEE and KATO is made in CHINA! I don't mind a $25 rolling stock if it has KADEE, ATLAS, KATO or WALTHERS (for passenger cars) on the box! Then I know I'm getting my monies worth in terms of very exact detail.

Mmmmmmm all the new P-K rollin' stock is made in cobblers knob :D :D :D