Hope you get a "lift" out of this...

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
short train carrying some parts for a large overhead crane. The locomotive, an Athearn SW1200, modified into an NW-2, is lettered for the Grand River Southern, a terminal company held jointly by the EG&E and the GVC. It's equipped with a can motor and has been re-geared. Pick-up shoes on both trucks make it almost unstallable.
100_53921.JPG

The first car, an empty gondola, is a modified Concor, followed by a GSC flatcar by Walthers. The load represents one end assembly of the bridge of a large overhead crane.
100_53931.JPG

This gondola, from Proto2000, is carrying one of the crane's two main bridge members. They will be assembled, on-site, with the loads from the first and last cars in the train to form the bridge assembly.
100_53941.JPG

This is another GSC flatcar: the load represents the main side members of the trolley which will run on top of the bridge.
100_53951.JPG

Here's the other bridge member, in another Proto2000 gondola.
100_53961.JPG

The next shot shows the other bridge end on another flat, followed by another Concor gondola.
100_53971.JPG

And finally, the caboose.
100_53981.JPG

All of the freight cars have been modified with wire grabirons and A-Line steps. The crane parts are built-up from sheet and strip styrene. The "wood" blocking is also styrene strip. All of the loads are removeable. The train originated at Dominion Bridge, a factory not modelled, but rather represented, along with several other industries, by two long industrial "staging sidings" located under the Grand Valley's main south end staging yard.

Wayne

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Wayne, I never get tired of seeing your work! In addition to the nice work on the loco and rolling stock, I really like your structures. The background bldg. which looks to be built on a curve in particular grabs the eye. Cool stuff!

Gary

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Thanks for the appreciative remarks. You're right Gary, in the first two shots, the building on the extreme right, National Grocers, is curved. It's connected, via overhead passageways, to the building where the reefer is spotted in the first picture. The rear wall of this building is curved also. Between the two structures, on the elevated grade separation seen in some of my other posts, is the double track main line of the GVC. The train in the photo is on the former main, now just an industrial connecting line. It curves around the tall part of the building behind the loco, then ducks between this building and the shorter brick structure visible, in the first shot, just over the hood of the loco, then disappears through a hole in the backdrop. The entire National Grocers complex was designed to de-emphasize the inordinately high grade separation and to hide the entry of both the low and high lines through the backdrop to staging. Design Preservation modular walls, in two styles, were used for the extemely odd shaped buildings: roofs and the unseen back walls are .060" styrene. The low building seen over the loco's hood is leftover parts from the P&M Languay complex, seen in another post. This building, named for a real industry, is the Evel Casket Company, so Tyco's version wasn't all that fanciful.
One final remark. Looking at these pictures, I notice that there's quite a colour shift from the actual scene, probably due to the fluorescent lights used in the layout room. The loco is actually in a modified version of CNR's green and yellow paint scheme (same colours, different layout), and the crane load featured is in Floquil Reefer Orange, unweathered, obviously.

Wayne

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Dr. W.: interesting work. Will the crane be installed at the end of the run?

Interesting to see National Grocers. My grandfather used to manage their Niagara Falls office. It was situated on a curved spur at the top of Clifton Hill.

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
Excellent modeling and photos Wayne. :thumb:
The load brings back memories.
At the trucking company I worked for I designed and built steerable trailers to haul such loads over the road.

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Once again, thanks to everyone for the compliments.
I have tried to shrink the picture size, but so far, no luck. I store the photos at Photobucket: I just download them from a CD, but for some reason, the pictures are different sizes. I have some that are about 300x400 85k, and others that are 800x600 120k. Photobucket allows you to re-size the pictures smaller, so I shrank one of the large ones down to 200x150 19k, then did a test post here of the original and the smaller version. Both showed up as the same size. Large! ezdays recommended PhotoPlus, so I downloaded it but it seems to me to be overwhelming. Computers, the language, the logic of it, make almost no sense to me. It's like trying to write a great novel with the pen held in your toes: by the time I can form a word, I've lost the thought. Whatever I manage to post here, whether pictures or words, ends up taking way longer than it should, and of course, it doesn't help that I'm so wordy. I do understand the desireability of shrinking the photos, so I'll try to get my elusive daughter to help me out.
Wayne

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
Wayne, your modeling is absolute top notch! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

You have chosen a very interesting object. And the way the heavy load is handled is absolutely prototypic. Did you model that crane after an existing prototype, or did you 'imagineere' it?

Ron

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
I was just checking through some of my past posts to see if the pictures were still showing up and I came across Ron's question, which I hadn't noticed previously. The crane was inspired by the cranes I saw in the steel mill where I worked. There were 11 of them in our mill, ranging from a 15 tonner up to a hundred tonner, although most of them had a greater span than the one featured here. I vaguely remember watching them put up a crane in a new building right beside the mill where I worked: it was a 600 tonner.
Anyway, Ron, sorry for the delay in my response.

Wayne

L

lester perry

I have no problem with the pic size and I am dial up. They fit perfectly on my screen. The only problem I have is I am going to quit. You make me look like an amature, which I guess I am. But anyway FANTASTIC modeling & photography.
Les