Hooked on passenger trains

spitfire

Yep, ever since I decided to put Union Station (Toronto) on my layout, I have fallen in love with the old lightweight passenger trains of CN and CP - the Canadian, the Dominion, the Super Transcontinental. Here's my current desktop pic - a former CP lounge/dome car. It almost makes me look forward to winter!!!

Val

Attachments

• RidingMtPark.jpg
    RidingMtPark.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 115

spitfire

Here's another winter shot of the Algonquin Park. CP's The Canadian made it's debut in 1955 using exactly this type of lounge car at the tail end. Unlike the "swallowtail" lounge cars offered by Walthers (and other's) the Canadian prototypes also had domes. This would make a cool kitbash I think.

Val

Attachments

• AlgonqPark.jpg
    AlgonqPark.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 113

spitfire

Thanks LS, but I can't take credit for them. The second image is from Rail Pics taken by Gary Morris. I'm not sure anymore where I found the first one.

Val

Pooh Bah
Val: I always wanted to buy Banff Park for mt retirement. Didn't work out.
There have been a few plastic models of the dome-obs; you have to watch out because the California Zephyr ones have great big spotlights on the roof of the obs section.

spitfire

60103 said:
Val: I always wanted to buy Banff Park for mt retirement. Didn't work out.
There have been a few plastic models of the dome-obs; you have to watch out because the California Zephyr ones have great big spotlights on the roof of the obs section.

The car, or the actual park? :eek: Am I right in thinking you didn't have quite enough cash to swing it? :D :D

I know what you mean about those big spotlights. The ones I have ordered don't have that, but they also don't have domes. The dome cars are square ended - for coach passengers I assume. I'm going to try to kitbash the dome onto the lounge car. Hopefully the roof profile is the same for both. I'm building The Canadian!

Val