Honeycomb?

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by goney3, Apr 12, 2007.

1. goney3

goney3 Member

Hmm... how would you make honeycomb? ... weave strips of paper? or fold up each sheet then glue together the connecting pieces of the hexagon?

I dunno, just been thinking lately that it would be cool to have a block sitting on my desk at work, though when I think about it, I don't know where you'd start from a design perspective.

Any thoughts? :)
  2. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Just make each individual section out of a piece of paper and glue them together.

Russell
  3. barry

barry Active Member

Honeycombe

Metsequoia primative cylinder with the right number for individual cell stick them together

I think ?

regards
  4. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I would go buy a box of honeycomb cereal and empty the box, glue the cereal together and then use the box to make reinforcements for another model - perhaps amazyahs see thru cube. Now we just need to find a use for the plastic bag then we have 100% material reused! :)
    Chris
    p.s. I am easy to entertain.....
  5. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

I could just go out and cut some from my hive.....................no wait that would be too sticky and tempting to eat!:grin:

If you creased a strip of paper equally and started folding and glueing each cell it would work I believe...............you could just add more strips as you run out. You will have some double walls but, Yeah I think it would work.
  6. shrike

shrike Guest

That's the way the Boeing et alli do floorboards. It's even paper, albeit impregnated with phenolic resin et c.
  7. shrike

shrike Guest

That's the way the Boeing et alli do floorboards. It's even paper, albeit impregnated with phenolic resin et c.
  8. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

AS usual................. always beating to the punch by someone else:oops:
  9. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

AS usual................. always beating to the punch by someone else:oops:
  10. The-Jazzman

The-Jazzman Member

11. The-Jazzman

The-Jazzman Member

12. goney3

goney3 Member

Thank you Jazzman!, REAL honeycomb :grin:

Though what I was thinking about was more like Bowdenja and Shrike had in mind. ;)

Hehehe, I absolutely loved the idea by Cgutzmer. So many ideas! :twisted:

And a big thanks to everyone for the thoughts, I'll have to try it out since it sounds simple enough :) Though I'll probably end up gluing my hand somehow to the desk again :roll:
  13. goney3

goney3 Member

Thank you Jazzman!, REAL honeycomb :grin:

Though what I was thinking about was more like Bowdenja and Shrike had in mind. ;)

Hehehe, I absolutely loved the idea by Cgutzmer. So many ideas! :twisted:

And a big thanks to everyone for the thoughts, I'll have to try it out since it sounds simple enough :) Though I'll probably end up gluing my hand somehow to the desk again :roll:
  14. Art Decko

Art Decko Member

Should be easy to study a bee hive, there are empty ones all over the US now ... :-0

Have you guys heard about this? North American honeybees are vanishing in alarming numbers. It's a trend that has been accellerating recently, beekeepers now call it "CCD" - Colony Collapse Disorder. Lately, in some areas, beekeepers are reporting as many as 80% of their hives are inexplicably empty.

Maybe the worst news is that what's happening is such a mystery. It's not clear if the bees are abandoning their hives, or are failing to find their way home. It's taking place in Europe, too, but in much smaller numbers.

Consider for a moment the role of the honeybee in North American agriculture. Something like 1/3 of North American produce is pollinated with the assistance of bees.

Worrisome news!
  15. Art Decko

Art Decko Member

Should be easy to study a bee hive, there are empty ones all over the US now ... :-0

Have you guys heard about this? North American honeybees are vanishing in alarming numbers. It's a trend that has been accellerating recently, beekeepers now call it "CCD" - Colony Collapse Disorder. Lately, in some areas, beekeepers are reporting as many as 80% of their hives are inexplicably empty.

Maybe the worst news is that what's happening is such a mystery. It's not clear if the bees are abandoning their hives, or are failing to find their way home. It's taking place in Europe, too, but in much smaller numbers.

Consider for a moment the role of the honeybee in North American agriculture. Something like 1/3 of North American produce is pollinated with the assistance of bees.

Worrisome news!
  16. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

Worrisome news indeed, if we ever lose the bees and other pollinators, we will be far up that famous creek sans paddle.
  17. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

Worrisome news indeed, if we ever lose the bees and other pollinators, we will be far up that famous creek sans paddle.
  18. Kaz

Kaz Member

Bees make tubes out of wax, and they get 'squished' into hexes, not sure if paper will react in the same way though.
  19. Kaz

Kaz Member

Bees make tubes out of wax, and they get 'squished' into hexes, not sure if paper will react in the same way though.
  20. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

Izzat how that works...and all this time I've had this image of worker bees (in overalls of course) working with protracters and files...