Honey-I shrank the gondola-or I can't leave..

foulrift

Bob
May 2, 2008
Phillipsburg,NJ
I picked up a 50' gondola the other day but being the type of person who can't leave well along deceided to shorten it to 40'.The only real issue I had was that supplied weightr was a fuzz too thick(Athearn kit).Instead I added styrene to underside until frame fit properly.I will compinsate for the missing weight bt adding a couple of steel coils that I have that are made of metal. It is now ready for paint. Bob
Gondola.jpg

foulrift

Bob
May 2, 2008
Phillipsburg,NJ
Thanks Josh-Most of the current name-Golden West Service is still visible. The crew did a prety good job in preserving the name when the pieces were welded together so I think I'll just leave well enough alone.There are a few spots where I'll have to touch up the blue but I don't expect an exact match.I'll post new pics once it's out of the paint shop and I get it weathered etc.Thanks again-Bob

N

nachoman

What was your motivation for shortening it? Is there a prootype you are trying to match, or do you just need shorter cars for the curves on your layout?

Kevin

foulrift

Bob
May 2, 2008
Phillipsburg,NJ
Ron-You guessed it.Due to other obligations it make take a little longer before I get the rest of the track and lumber that I need but I hope it won't be much longer then I can start to build.
Kevin-just wanted a shorter car.My layout will be small and I'm going to be using Peco small radius turnouts and I thought 50' might be a little much so I had the crew get out the torches and have at it.Bob

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
The blue on that car looks very close to AT&SF blue from a blue & yellow freight loco. AT&SF blue is probably readily available from your lhs, but if not Bangor & Aroostook (spelling?) blue is also close. The other possibility would be B&O dark blue. If I remember correctly B&O had a passenger scheme with dark & light blue bands. The same dark blue was used on their "cigar band" paint scheme.