Honest, I'm sellin' 'em as fast as I can...

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
With the demands of ministry taking more of my time, I've had to sell down a good bit of what I've accumulated for that "Big Layout" I had planned. Not to worry as I still plan on many more years in the hobby...just felt it necessary to pull the reins in a bit and focus on specific interests rather than get caught up in something that could consume way too much of my already pressed schedule. I'm building this cabinet for my N scale pike to have a dust free, ready to run at a moments notice home. Built to rest on book shelves and stand at about 40" off the ground, it features a place for the throttle and a drawer for my modeling projects. The layout measures 59" by 43" and sits on a full extension slide drawer. The stowaway projects drawer is 24" by 59", also on full extension slides.

case1.jpg

case2.jpg

case3.jpg

case4.jpg

case5.jpg

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
In doing so I get to focus more on things I enjoy, running, scratchbuilding and locomotives. In fact, my two newest arrived this week...

This Marklin 3022 E94 will carry trains at shows all around the area on a small portable layout that also serves as a testbed and holiday display. It will rest on top on the cabinets when finished. I bought it on Ebay as it was recommended to me for its durability...that it's sweet lookin' ugly is just a bonus.:thumb:

gator.jpg

This pristine Tyco GG1 is now part of my little "History of Model Trains" display as one of the best examples of how not to model a beloved locomotive that no GG1 fan should be without. I picked it up at a local flea market today.

GGwho2.jpg

All in all the last three weeks have been a hoot on Ebay. I still have projects in the works for some "How-tos", I just won't be as actively modeling as I have in the past. I'll still be around The Gauge regularly as always.:thumb:

Jan 15, 2007
Seattle, Washington
Umm...Shay...this is the HO forum...we don't want to hear about your N-scale plans...

Haha just kidding. Nice stuff you got there, and too bad about having to sell all that stuff; do you have anything HO you plan on selling?

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Spawn of Chaos said:
Umm...Shay...this is the HO forum...we don't want to hear about your N-scale plans...

Haha just kidding. Nice stuff you got there, and too bad about having to sell all that stuff; do you have anything HO you plan on selling?

That be OK...Ize doin' both, one on toppin 'nother.:thumb:

I actually will have two layouts, one HO, one N on that cabinet, as well as my 30" by 6' HO module. I've just dumped any future plans for a room filling HO layout. As for the HO stuff I'm selling, I've never liked advertising on forums but, check out Ebay, I'm easy to find.:thumb:

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
oldtanker said:
Really great idea. From the looks of it you are also a skilled work worker, nery nice.

Rick

I second that comment. That cabinet looks like it wil fit nicely in any room of the house. Great work! :thumb:

By the way, did anyone notice he said he's SCALING BACK to just N, HO and scratchbuilding loco's????? Wow! For me that would be scaling UP the hobby.... :D :D

Val

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
spitfire said:
I second that comment. That cabinet looks like it wil fit nicely in any room of the house. Great work! :thumb:

By the way, did anyone notice he said he's SCALING BACK to just N, HO and scratchbuilding loco's????? Wow! For me that would be scaling UP the hobby.... :D :D

Val

Thanks, Val, Rick, I appreciate the kind words....I am scaling back, honest :thumb: :D

And yes, it is shaygetz on Ebay, Spawn.

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Thanks, Trainman.

green_elite_cab said:
lol, that GG1 always drives me nuts when i see it. them crazy trucks!

I found it ironic that something I mocked at 17 when it first came out was so desirable to me 30 years later. I all but ran to the ATM and back to get it. Even then I was a budding rivet counter:rolleyes: Lotta fond memories...:thumb:

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
I might have saved some of my oldies but most of them seem beyond my capabilities.
I have an AHM C-liner i think i can save, but the trucks on that thing are kinda crazy if you've seen them. the motor points straight down into the truck.

i also have a Tyco bicentennial C430, but its missing a sideframe, handrails, and whatever the couplers were attached to. I also lost that weird wax paper-like window glass. It kinda ran, and worked alittle better after i cleaned the wheels, but it stopped after about 2 seconds.

the oen i feel worst about is my Mehano SD40-2 that i just nuked when i was trying out my airbrush. I probably could clean it off, but yeah.... that thing is done for now.

I get all these old trains from my uncle at yard sales. good thing i'm a pack rat! i'll probably still have all this stuff when i'm 85 years old.

my metroliners are going down to, lol. i need a new motor for them!

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
green_elite_cab said:
I have an AHM C-liner i think i can save, but the trucks on that thing are kinda crazy if you've seen them. the motor points straight down into the truck.

i also have a Tyco bicentennial C430, but its missing a sideframe, handrails, and whatever the couplers were attached to. I also lost that weird wax paper-like window glass. It kinda ran, and worked alittle better after i cleaned the wheels, but it stopped after about 2 seconds.

I have two of the N scale Atlas C-Liners that are much the same---a nasty mech that is a bear to repair.

My HO Tyco C430 is in very good shape. It is an early one with the metal handrails and, after a good clean and lube, did two laps around my loop and stopped dead...sigh...:rolleyes:

Here is the Holy Grail of Tyco GG1s and one of the few listing where the word "rare" is properly used >>> http://cgi.ebay.com/TYCO-MOST-RARE-...ryZ19140QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It is pretty but there ain't no way I'm forking over that kind of coin for a Tyco.:thumb:

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
That, my friend, was a deal...:thumb: They only put them out two years. All the rest were issued for 9, mine has the added plus of an original '77-78 box in very good condition.

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
It's now preassembled for final adjustments...

Front...

case6.jpg

Opened to reveal the two drawers...

case7.jpg

This is the layout drawer...

case8.jpg

...and the project drawer...

case9.jpg

...and finally, the rear access area.

case10.jpg