Hondamax's 1/48 Black Arrow R3

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by BARX2, Aug 8, 2007.

1. BARX2

BARX2 Member

It's taken me a while to get around to building this model, but I really fell it love with it when Hondamax posted it. Part of the problem was that there are very few pictures of the Black Arrow on the web to refer to. I think I may have located all of them, but none shows the rocket from all the right angles. So here's Max's Black Arrow R3. I added the nozzles based on a picture I'll post below. Thanks Max! :mrgreen:

Attached Files:

2. BARX2

BARX2 Member

Closer view of the payload area.

Attached Files:

3. BARX2

BARX2 Member

Aft end.

Attached Files:

4. BARX2

BARX2 Member

The real Black Arrow R3 on its one and only flight - fourth and final of the Black Arrow series.

Attached Files:

5. BARX2

BARX2 Member

Booster nozzles of the Black Arrow.

Attached Files:

6. jparenti

jparenti Member

That's a great model! Nice clean build you have there. I've never seen this vehicle, but now I'm interested. Where did you find it?
  7. David H

David H Member

The Science Museum in London has / had one on display and there is a great little book on the British rocket and space programme, see:

Douglas Miller 2001 The Black Arrow Rocket - A History of a Satellite Launcher and its Engines, The Science Museum ISBN 1-900747-413.

D
  8. Hondamax

Hondamax New Member

Outstanding

... so why didn't mine come out looking like that?

Joe,

Excellent build, like what you did with the engines, I did start redoing the whole engine section, including motors, but got sidetracked....! You should add the engines to the file.
  9. BARX2

BARX2 Member

Sadly, I have no idea how to design parts or modify PDF files. I used a spare set of boosters from the CZ-2F Chinese launch vehicle and cut them down to size. Wish I could be of more help. All I do is build 'em. :oops:

The attachment in the original thread was lost in the move. Max, could you attach the model PDF file to this thread:

http://forum.zealot.com/t150089/

Or, if you're busy with your move, I can attach it if you like. Just let me know.
  10. Hondamax

Hondamax New Member

... Reattached

Joe,

I've reattached the PDF. The bit of outer skin is down to my untidiness, please ignore. Thanks for the support.
  11. Hondamax

Hondamax New Member

I keep meaning to go there, but life, etc., etc., and other feeble excuses....!

Got the book, its very nice. The link Joe provided has given me some much better pictures than I've had before. May be need to do some work on beta 0.2....
  12. Mike_BAR

Mike_BAR American Rocketeer

Clean build, and nice mods on the first stage Gamma 8 motor.