HOn30 tank loco

Discussion in 'Scratchin' & Bashin'' started by Ray Marinaccio, Jul 20, 2006.

1. RailRon

RailRon Active Member

Fantastic work, Ray! And the photographs are top notch, too. :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Your expert handling of all that small stuff puts every Swiss watchmaker to shame! :D

Ron (flabbergasted...)
  2. Ray Marinaccio

Ray Marinaccio Active Member

I've been doing some work on this project and thought I'd post a few photos.
    I still have to install some more decals and clear coat it.

Attached Files:

3. JorgeC

JorgeC Member

Simply OUTSTANDING!!!!!!!!
  4. nachoman

nachoman Guest

This is truly inspiring. Do you have an HOn30 line on your layout? You may have inspired me to work on a similar project I have been working on. My issue is soldering stuff to the boiler. What kind of iron are you using?

Kevin
  5. Ray Marinaccio

Thanks guys.
    I don't have any track laid yet.
    Since I started this project I acquired some HOn3 trucks and rolling stock and I haven't decided which to regauge.
    As for soldering I am using a 250/325 watt Weller soldering gun. I use Tix liquid flux on the parts, then using a "tinned" tip heat the parts until the solder flows from the tip to the parts. If you have problems with other parts coming unsoldered, wrap the boiler with a wet rag to slow the transfer of heat.
    I got a resistance soldering system but haven't used it yet.
  6. doctorwayne

doctorwayne Active Member

Great progress, Ray. :thumb: I really like that tender, too!

Wayne
  7. Ray Marinaccio

Thanks Wayne,
    Here's a few close up photos showing the link and pin couplers.
    They are modified N scale Rapido couplers.
    They will also couple to the Minitrain cars.

Attached Files:

8. BrownMouse

BrownMouse New Member

Ray, could you describe how you made those link and pin couplers? Sorry to resurrect an ancient thread, but it seemed like a good idea to ask out here, instead of a private message, in case someone else was interested. Thanks,

Elnathan
  9. Triplex

Triplex Active Member

I'm no expert, but it certainly captures the look of sugar plantation engines. The proportions look typical of small narrow-gauge engines, and the tender (for cubes of bagasse, I presume) looks right.
  10. Ray Marinaccio

Hi Elnathan,
    I was planning to do a how-to on the couplers but got tied up with some other projects.
    I basically cut the hook off the Rapido coupler, drilled a .040" hole in the center of the face into the shank of the coupler. O then drilled another hole on each side of the first hole. I then trimmed and filed them out to form the pocket for the link. Pieces of plastic were glued on the sides and top, then a hole for the pin was drilled and the coupler was filed to shape.
    I wish I had taken photos as I built them, it would help show how they were made. I plan to make more of them in the future, I will get some photos then.