HOn30 Mini-Layout

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Thanks Matthew & Steve! :)

The forest is starting to spring up around the trestle!

aky.jpg

akz.sized.jpg

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
I’ve been working on some scenery on the hillside behind where the sawmill will be…

Here’s a “before shot…

ala.jpg

…& here’s what it looks like now…

alq.jpg

I’m still working on the sawmill itself…I should have an update on that soon…

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
I’ve begun construction on a saw mill…I originally was going to use another kit, but I ended up thinking this might work better…

For building materials, I started with this IHC ‘Transfer Pier”…(the buildings shown here on the box cover are not included in the kit…just the pier itself…)

als.jpg

I cut some pieces from the kit decking, & cut some of the support posts to a height of 4’, & used the excess pieces of post, & some styrene strip to make a roof support…I also used strips from the decking to make the base for a log transfer track…

alt.jpg

I lightly airbrushed the rntire structure with Floquil Engine Black, & then several light coats of Polly Scale Mud…

alu.jpg

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
I’ve been working a little more on the sawmill…

I’ve attempted to build a log carriage…

alv.jpg

This is all scrap box stuff…an HO ladder, a couple of I-beams, a couple of N scale automobiles, & some other bits & pieces …Alert to rivet-counters:This is certainly not meant to be a scale representation of anything prototypical…It’s just sort of my impressions based on photos that I’ve seen…

Here’s another view…

alw.jpg

I plan to take a stab at making a steam plant for power, & the saw itself…

I realize that this is kind of a B-grade version of this, but I’m hoping that once I get the roof on, these interior details will be enough in the shadows that they might pass a glancing inspection…?

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Drew1125 said:
Alert to rivet-counters:This is certainly not meant to be a scale representation of anything prototypical…

Most narrow gauge equipment was scratchbuilt...you'll likely find a near enough prototype for anything you build if you look hard enough. My climax came out a bit too wide for a 30"er but just right for a 3 footer, no problem when I found several prototype 30"ers that had been changed over from three footers. Great work :thumb:

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Thanks guys! :)

I had this little brainstorm the other day, & I used the underframe from this old N scale tank car…

amd.jpg

…to make this log car in Hon30…

ame.jpg

Now I need to get the sawmill up & running, so I can start hauling logs!

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
I’ve made some progress on the layout since the last update…mostly just scenery work…trees & bushes…

MVC-030F.jpg

MVC-031F.jpg

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
I’ve made some progress on the layout since the last update…mostly just scenery work…trees & bushes…

MVC-030F.jpg

MVC-031F.jpg