HOn3

Partsman

Dec 18, 2000
Canada
Visit site
Hi, guys. I haven't been here for a long time due to the fact that I lost all my bookmarks and it's taken me quite a while to find you again. I forgot that there is a - in The-Gauge.

The time is fast approaching for me to build my first ever railroad. As I mentioned, many moons ago, it will be a small mining operation of some sort. As my space is limited, I am considering narrow gauge. Therein lies my query. Are there any differences between HOn3 and HOn30?

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Narrow gauge!!!

I think you will find that 36" gauge is the most available in HO scale. That's not saying that there is a lot of it, only that there isn't much 30" gauge equipment out there. If you're serious about narrow gauge, you'll find yourself doing a lot of kitbashing, and scratch building. Unless, of course, you choose D&RGW, then there's all the stuff you can afford.

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
There are quite a few commercially available products out there for narrow gauge, but chances are you won't find them in your local hobby shop.
I would suggest to anyone interested in narrow gauge modeling to subscribe to the Narrow Gauge & Short Line Gazette.

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Been modeling in HOn3 for the last 20 or so years. The only difference between Hon3 and Hon30 is the gauge of the track. Hon3 represents a 36 inch track gauge while Hon30 represents a 30 inch track gauge. Everything else...buildings...vehicles...people and etc are HO scale. There is by far much more equiptment available in Hon3 than there is in Hon30. You might be able to use just slightly smaller track radius' in Hon30 but bear in mind that there is little ( if any) commerically available track components available in Hon30. For the "first time out" I would reccomend Hon3 due to the availability of track, turnouts, locos and rolling stock. Good to see a "newcomer" to narrow gauge!
Hope this helped....Vic

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Peco makes a line of HOn30 track & turnouts...they call it HOe (?)
Micro-Engineering also makes HOn30 flex track.