HOn3 vs. HOn30; who's best???

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Originally posted by kettlestack
Dang it Jon,
Your thread has invoked all the replies that screams at me to get off my butt and start using up my drawerfull of HOn3 stuff!
This is something that I've been putting off for almost 18 yrs now.
The charm of narrowgauge overwhelms me at times and even today Vic's thread elsewhere on his conversion of MDC passenger cars has really reached me! :)

Errol, How's the HOn3 layout going :D :D :D ??? I was just going back through all the answers here trying to make some purchasing decisions and saw this and thot I should check on your *fever* :D :D :D

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Jon,
Go to "photography,scenery, books, and video", page 9, the thread is "yard work" posted by Tyson Rayles, 3-11-2002, 07:01 PM, Kettlestack posted a photo of his HOn3 outside frame 2-8-0. Check it out.
Pete

kettlestack

Jan 18, 2002
Scotland UK
Visit site
Jon,
Here's a pic of one or two items of my HOn3 stuff on My small diorama. The loco is the MDC inside frame one that Pete has just mentioned. All my stuff was bought several years ago when prices seemed reasonable and I stored it all waiting for my retirement. I simply don't have space for a layout unless I tear down my HO pike so the concept of doing that is driving me quite out of my mind! :)( , no I'm not joking. I'm a RR nut and have so much of N, HOn3, HO and even G gauge). Maybe I should just become an armchair modeller?? .. :D :D

Ha Ha Ha Tyson!! So you think you're insane??? Come over here and witness a real RR basket case!:D :D

Errol

Attachments

• hon3 2-8-0 onbridge.jpg
    hon3 2-8-0 onbridge.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 65

kettlestack

Jan 18, 2002
Scotland UK
Visit site
Tyson!!!!! You're rotten to me!!! :D :D

I was determined to go with HOn3 just recently, and here you're trying to get me to go "N" ...... I need counselling now!:D

(I think I need a drink .. :) )

Errol

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Errol,
That's an even nicer shot of your bridge than you posted in the "bridges" photo contest.
Re "armchair modeler", when you get that model armchair done, post a picture!:D :D :D :D :D
Re HO layout, don't tear it down, "dual gauge" it, or maybe just part of it.
Pete

Mike R

Jan 18, 2002
Meaford Ontario Canada
Visit site
If you're looking at commercial dual gauge HO-HOn3 track, be prepared to take a deep breath, hold on to your chest, and wave goodbye to a great deal of $.
You may also find you wait a long time to get it, as there's so little demand, even the distributors don't have it. Most dual gaugers handlay their track, in every scale.
regards / Mike

kettlestack

Jan 18, 2002
Scotland UK
Visit site
You're right Mike, dual gauge Shinohara track costs an arm and a leg. 5 yrs ago I bought a 1yd length of it just to put in a display cabinet. All the rest of my HOn3 track is Shinohara. I have 13 turnouts and only 7 yds of track, that's why I'll settle for dioramas in HOn3. As for dual gauging my HO pike, that is out of the question as all the HO turnouts are Atlas code 80, electric and there's no way I'm going to hash those !!! :) :) . I did notice on a visit to Denver last October that Caboose Hobbies has a good selection of Shinohara HOn3 track (Just thought I'd mention it) which seems to be distributed by Lambert Associates.

Jon, my Ho pike is a narrow "L" switching layout with no room for adjacent HOn3...... It's typical of my lack of forward thinking ... :( .

Tyson, I still have a space 30" x 6' 6" that will probably finish up holding an "N" layout ... but once again the house power outlets and lighting are all in the wrong place. It will come to reality but not in a hurry. But your layout photos inspir me and keep nagging at me to make a start.

Pete, is there any particular fabric you would like the armchair finished in??? :) :)

Errol

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Although I'm independantly wealthy, don't have to work, and can buy any kind of track that's available, well, OK, I'm dirt poor. Anyway, partly because of hte expense, and partly because of the lack of HO/HOn30 dual gauge and partly because I don't really see the point of dual gauge track, (except it's cool), I am planning to have two gauges on one layout, but little or no dual gauge track. They will be on seperate levels. After I found out HOe and HOn30 are the same, I found some really kewl hoe track. And I thot a hoe was something you slap around! Anyways, I posted my thot's on paper on the track forum. I would like to know what you experts think about it. Be gentle, it's my first attempt at laying out a large (to me) layout, two levels, two scales. I am a long ways from starting and it will all change by then. :D :D :D Cheers, mates