HOn3 Degrees of Incline

Mastiffdog

Sep 7, 2003
I have 8' in length to spike down HOn3 track starting from a zero elevation. How many inches can I climb by the time I reach the end of the 8'?

Thanks,

Dog

Mastiffdog

Sep 7, 2003
Got the grade dialed in, it's 3%-4% max. Loosed up all the risers and bump up the low end of the grade, then buttoned everything back. The grade looks flater. Photos of progress to come.

Thanks for the info,

Dog

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Don't Get Hung Up!!!

Just for the newbies who haven't worked with grades before:wave:

It doesn't matter what scale you are working with...the percent of grade is always the number of inches that the track rises divided by distance in inches transversed.

Examples:

A 3" rise in 100" distance = 3%
3 / 100 = .03

As Dog has discovered, due to the small physical size of our trackwork and the operational characteristics of our trains the grades don't always work out perfect...but if it looks good and operates good then that's what you want. Don't get hung up on having them right on the money!!!:) :thumb:

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
You can also "cheat" a little in ho'3 since narrow gauge railroads would generally run a little steeper grade than standard gauge, and most of the narrow gauge trains were short, 4-5 cars max. Most locos will handle 4-5% grades, although they may jerk a bit coming down something that steep. If you try to run a class one mainline that steep, you will find yourself having to use way too much power for the size of train your pulling.