HOn3 curve radius

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
Hi, I'm new to narrow guage. I've been collecting some equipment for awhile now and now I'm wanting to build a small logging branchline on my layout. What is the smallest raduis curve I can use in HOn3 I'm most likly going to use an 0-8-0T from MDC that I'm going to power. I filed the # 2 and 3 drivers in each side blind so it'll go around a tight corner. Question number two is how tight of a curve will the MDc HOn3 two-truck-shay manage? I don't have one yet but might look for one down the road. Thanks for the help.

neilmunck

Feb 18, 2004
Glasgow, UK
www.gmts.org.uk
The shay can definately go round 18" radius curves but tighter than that and the telescopic drive shafts on the right side might come out too far and fall appart or not be able to close up enough on the inside of the bend and jam.

So.....18" is fine (I've tried it) but it all gets very tight at less than that. There wasn't much extra travel left on the drive shafts on my one at 18".

Hope that helps,
Neil

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
Thanks, but I think I might be looking for a tighter curve. That's why I'm working with that MDC 0-8-0t kit. It comes unpowered but it has the frame and drivers off their inside frame 2-8-0 engine so I figure I can just add the drivetrain from MDC down the road. So I'm trying for a really tight radius curve due to space constrictions. I'm also scratchbuilding an HOn3 climax for the planed area.

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hello Glen,
When you say H0n3 I presume you are talking N-scale trackwork as the n stands for narrow gauge and the 3 for 3 foot, yes. In that case, you should be able to go down below 18" radius if you are using n-scale chassis's with H0n3 bodies. Same applies to me, I model 0n30 which is 0-gauge narrowgauge at 30" track width. most of my chassis's are HO with 0n30 gauge bodies on them.

I have 18" radius curves on my 0n30

Its real fun sometimes, as you can make what ever little critter you want.
Shamus

Hi Glen,
You could get 2 or three lengths of HOn3 flex track
and tack down a test loop; then you could experiment
to see how tight to go. That's my plan, anyhoo.

I'm planning on a 15" radius using an HOn3 2-truck
Shay, but I have not tested it yet. Got the loco but no
track. I would be interested in your results!!:D :D

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
Shamus,

HOn3 runs on different track that 'N' scale. HOn30 is the guage that uses 'n' scale. It works out to 30 inches or around 2 1/2 feet between the rails. I'd almost consider going the HOn30 route but I've already collected servral pieces of equipment and don't want to give them up.

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
I'll use 16" (40 cm) minimum radius on my H0n3 line.

So far I tested it with flex track and the MDC outside frame 2-8-0 and this works. But I wouldn't use a tighter radius.

BTW: The track gauge of H0n3 is 10.5 mm and on H0n30 it is 9 mm (N).

Ron