Home made tools or jigs

Discussion in 'Tips & Tricks' started by Dave Harris, Nov 29, 2008.

1. Dave Harris

Dave Harris Member

I'll bet many of us build some tools , either a tool for a job that no one makes one for or because we think we can improve on what is made or perhaps because they are too costly & we do it just to see if we can.
    Also probably many of us build jigs to help do some repeatitive job.
    How about some of you posting pics of some of your handiwork?
    I'll start with a simple little jig I built to make the support straps for 25 log cars I was scratch building . Tho the straps were very simple I needed a LOT of them. 100 for the 25 cars & they all had to be the same to look right.
    I hope this thread has a lot of additions, I think we all have some neat stuff to show & perhaps inspire others.

Attached Files:

2. Dave Harris

Dave Harris Member

Here is a little Rotary milling/drilling table I made. No one made a really small rotary table suitable for model work.
    I made this using a window motor out of a car for the gears & housing, I removed the windings on the armature& cut the shaft & motor housing down to shorten it. About 4 inches were taken out, the brass decorative band is hiding the seam. The surface of the table itself was a piece of something I picked up in the metal salvage yard. The gear ratio was 60 to 1 which made it easy to calibrate,& you can see that it has an adjuster nut already built in to make it possible to remove any backlash to take out play which would interfere with it moving precisely. The dial on the handle is a cup type freeze plug with 1 thru 5 degrees marked per revolution, the table is marked in 22.5 degree indications so between the two one can dial in to the exact degree wanted. The rotater knob is a cupboard pull with a piece of a knurled mini screwdriver handle attached.
    Thats a quarter lying on top of it so you can see what size this table is.

Attached Files:

3. Dave Harris

Dave Harris Member

Hey !! announce1 Come on guys I KNOW there are some very talented folks on here & that MANY of you have some neat tools or jigs you have made & I'd ( AND I am sure others ) would like to see them -- and probably COPYbounce7 a few as well .
  4. nachoman

nachoman Guest

Dave,

here is a driver quartering tool I made for MDC HOn3 drivers. I wasn't sure the NWSL would work on the MDC HOn3 locos, so I built this out of some angle brackets and screws purchased at the local hardware store. I also made some special pins to fit in the crank holes on the drivers.

Kevin

Attached Files:

5. Dave Harris

Dave Harris Member

Thats pretty sharp Kevin. :thumb: I knew there were some neat tools out there !!

I made a driver quarterer as well but your model is a LOT easier to build than what I made & probably works better as well!

Keep em coming guys, I want this to be a loooooonng & busy thread! :wave:
  6. Dave Harris

Dave Harris Member

poleing pocket tooling.

Because I scratch build a lot, brass locos mostly I try to make as many of the detail parts as I can, using castings for only the intricate parts. Poleing pockets are one thing I can make my self & so can you if you want following this post.
    First -- here is a pic of a set I made for one of the Climax Locos I built.
    Then a couple of the tool set I used to make them. To make a pocket you only need 3 of the pieces. I have a couple of different sizes shown. The square tube piece is 5/32 brass tube with a smaller piece inside to align the 4 pieces of blunted sewing needles, this makes the ' rivets' that hold the pocket on. Of course they are soldered together.
    The round tube piece is .093 (3/32) soldered to a turned down nail. This forms the outside "ring" of the pocket.
    The last piece is part of a pop rivet shaft turned to a ball end with a drill or dremel & a file. The small one is .078 ( 2 MM) I have a couple slightly bigger shown as well. This is used to depress the cup. I'll show you how to make a pocket in the next post.

Attached Files:

7. Dave Harris

Dave Harris Member

OK -- lets make a pocket. I'm demonstrating on aluminum here , the same disposable baking tin material I use for the junk yard cars, for a loco I use .003 copper or brass, brass must be anealed till dead soft.
    First impress the rivets tapping lightly with a small hammer--- next form the "ring" from the same side, again all it takes is a gentle tap.
    Now turn it over & gently tap the ball end into the center of the pocket- cut the pocket to size & solder it in place -- or if you use aluminum glue it on. Very simple, quick & cheap!!

Attached Files:

8. nachoman

nachoman Guest

here is a tie alignment jig I made. Most of my homemade jigs and tools are related to auto repair. I have to think if I have any more around related to model railroading..

Attached Files:

9. Dave Harris

Dave Harris Member

Thats pretty slick, I never thought of that. Looks pretty easy & should make track a lot easier.
    I built several jigs once to make turnouts, made them so you put the turnout together upside down in the jig. If anyone wants to see them I 'll try to find them in storage.

Ok the rest of you get busy., I know there is a lot more out there!!
  10. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Active Member

OK - for those of us a little more "challenged" than all of you mechanical geniuses, how about a photo showing how the workpiece relates to the jig?

In some cases it is clear, and in others it isn't. :confused:
  11. thumsup

thumsup Member

:mrgreen: Clear as muddy water on this end. :eek:

Joe:thumb:
  12. Dave Harris

Dave Harris Member

13. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

Dave,

I think both Joe and MM would like more explanation (and photos) of how the various jigs shown here actually work. For example, you've shown some pics of the poling pocket jig in action, but it may not clear to everyone how Kevin's quartering device works.

Andrew
  14. thumsup

thumsup Member

Hey Dave,

I should have mentioned before how much I enjoy this thread.
    I may not understand all the info but it does make me think which
    makes my head hurt wall1

Joe :thumb:
  15. Mountain Man

Well...my bad...I guess. :oops:

The
  16. Mountain Man

Well...my bad...I guess. :oops:

The trouble with geniuses is that they assume everyone else understands them.
  17. thumsup

thumsup Member

How would I know? :eek:
  18. Dave Harris

Dave Harris Member

Ok , probably a good idea at that. Perhaps Kevin will post a pic of a set of drivers on his jig. If not I'll try to find the one I built & take some pics of it in use.

I'm happy that this thread is proving popular & hope that more tools or jigs show up soon. balloon6
  19. Mountain Man

Thank you. That illustrates my point perfectly. :cool:
  20. nachoman

nachoman Guest

Crap. I'd have to take a loco apart to put a set of drivers on there :) I've got a project coming up where I will have to use the thing again, and I will try to remember to take a photo next time:mrgreen: