Homasote for new experiment in Toronto?

moria

Nov 4, 2004
Toronto
Greetings all :thumb:

Quick question.. I am going to build a small minimum space HO layout with Sound and DCC and the works.. yes I know N-gauge for 30 years and now I try playing elsewhere :eek:, so call me stupid.. it will be one of the better things I have been called over the years.

I am going to build the layout as a jigsaw layout, so there will be a flat base of plywood and then jigsaw pieces cut to match the depth of the track bed on top of the plywood so I can vary the scenery to change the layout.. initial plans are GTW/CN steam/diesel 1940 - 60 and UK Great Western around 1930's - 40's (Remember I said you could call me stupid? :D ).

My first thought was to use Homasote, but when I went into my local Home Depot up in North Toronto the guy looked at me as if I had just sworn and said.. never heard of it.

Sooooo is Homasote available in Toronto, and if so where.

I am actually in North York/Markham, but have car will travel

Regards and Thanks in advance.

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Pickering. Ontario. Canada.
Visit site
Hi Graham, there is nothing stupid in that fantastic venture AT ALL!!!!!!

Being an expatriat I love to see the old lines being modeled did it my self once :thumb:
I was born 1948 Manchester and grew up with the steamer, train spotting on many a day .

Now I know Spitfire has just laid homasote on her lay out.
so pm spitfire for info.
Keep us posted :D

moria

Nov 4, 2004
Toronto
Hi Chris :)

Yep, am also an ex pat, although I have only been here a couple of years.

Modelling the GWR is second nature to me.. you know.. GWR Branch line terminus.. etc etc and I brought most of my reference books with me. My huge learning curve is local railways :)

Anyway, after a lot of planning and a few compromises, I have a trackplan and an idea to be able to build a small base layout (mainly a freight yard) and then be able to completely change the style, location and period by interchanging pieces on the layout (mainly buildings etc).. will be fun if it works, a truly generic layout that can be themed for use :)

Will do the PM thing later, just glad it is known about :)

Regards

Graham

theBear

Oct 1, 2004
In the woods of Maine
Homasote has a web site http://www.homasote.com/ and page with a dealer locator, however that page seems locked to US queries.

They also have a toll free number [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] 800-257-9491
Sales: Extension 1500
[/font] a call might just get you the information you are seeking.

grumbeast

Jan 13, 2003
Dartmouth, N.S. Canada
www.accesswave.ca
Hi Graham!,

I'm another Graham who has a thing for the GWR. I confess I gave up on a dual themed layout but I think they can work. I'm lucky enough to have a little more space I can plonk a small GWR n scale layout in (when I get around to it)

Welcome!.. I'm really looking forward to see how this turns out. Hope the gauge can be of help!

Graham

moria

Nov 4, 2004
Toronto
Hi Graham :)

Yep GWR is in the blood, literally :)

I am planning on calling the new layout the GWR because in my research, even though it only lasted till the late 1800's.. 1884 I think from memory, the section of the GTW/CN that I want to model was origionally the Great Western Railway of canada.

Seems to me thats enough of a remote coincidence to be the basis for a model :)

Regards

Graham

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
Graham, if you can't find homosote try using 1/2 inch pink foam sold at Home Depot and other lumber stores. I tried homosote and didn't like it. The pink foam is so much easier to use.

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Pickering. Ontario. Canada.
Visit site
Hi Graham,

I just phoned a friend who use`s Homasote, He could only get it from
Lancing buildall, Kennady south of the 401 it was a while ago so phone them first.
Cost then was $40 a sheet and only 1/2 inch ouch!!
Ernie said you will have to brace it well as it will warp over time.
:)

moria

Nov 4, 2004
Toronto
Thanks all for the info :)

Val.. hold of on the digging I have, I think, found an alternative :)

I made up a trial board yesterday.. combination of 2x1 and 3x1 framing and bracing with a thin plywood top and then a layer of 1" foam on top. With a layer of cork under the track, it seems that there is enough rigidity with the plywood base to mount tortoises reliably and I also get the easiness of foam for cutting out my jigsaw pieces for the scenery, and the plywood gives the rigidity for dimensional stability. Additionally, a 4x2 board with facia and backdrop attatched is easily liftable by me alone, which is a distinct bonus for moving it from the train room to in front of the TV to work on :thumb:

I did get an email from Homasote and they said they didn't have a regular distributer in Toronto, and nothing guaranteed.

It's looking like Homasote is.. up here, an expensive solution which may not have that much of a benefit.. only time will tell :)

I will try laying and powering up some proper tackwork today on the new trial board and see what happens since I am going nowhere with all this snow around :)

That way I will have something, albeit a small something to try my BLI switcher with sound on when it arrives this week, along with the Switch-it Stationary decoders to power the tortoises.

Regards all

K.V.Div

May 10, 2001
Shawnigan Lake, B.C. Canada
Visit site
Hi Graham,

I have also tried finding homasote up here in Canada (Allbeit on the west(Wet) coast) but have found that there are very few supplyers who carry it.
The closest product available that I am aware of is called "Donacona Board" also known by other names such as: Pressboard, Paperboard, Beaver Board, Buffalo Board and Blackout Board.
It is not as dense or strong as Homasote, however, we do use it on our NTrak and oNeTrak modules between the plywood and track roadbed as a sound reducer and I Intend to use it for the same purpose on my new soon to be started layout.
Cheers!

Terry