Homabed??????

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Marty, I've been using it for a couple years now. The only inconsistancy I found in thickness was in the two batches I bought. The first batch was bought from the original owner, the second from the present owner. No big problem tho, 15 seconds of sanding leveled them out. You have a choice of angle for ballast shoulders, I used 45 degree, I would go for a greater angle next time. It also comes in straight and curve sections, with the curve sections having slots cut into it to enable it to bend more easily. Half the pieces have the slots on the outside and the rest have the slots on the inside, you butt one of each together when laying. I lay mine on plywood using white glue, I use 1/2 inch brads to hold it while the glue dries. Then I remove the brads, fill any gaps with spackle, and lightly sand. since I often handlay, I glue ties down next for handlaid track, then paint the whole deal my tie color to seal. This material is excellant for handlaying as it holds spikes well yet is easy to spike into. It's advantage over regular homasote is not having to cart the 4x8 sheets home, cut them up (very messy) and then create ballast shoulders. Its cost, as I recall, is similar to that of cork. It is a bit more work than cork. For laying prefab track, I'm not sure it offers an advantage over cork. Hope this helps.

Gary

marty w.

Jun 11, 2002
Bloomington, IN
Visit site
Thanks for the info Gary. I was hoping that this would be more consistent in thickness compared to a 4'x8'x1/2" sheet of raw homasote.
Since I will be laying flex track, you and Pete are correct in that cork maybe easier, however, I'm kind of set in my ways and I have always used homasote.
I'll order a sample pack and see how I like it.
Thanks Again,
Marty