HO Train Layout

Russ Bellinis

I would also suggest that you get some plexiglass from your local home center store and put a 5 or 6 inch tall section fastened to the edge of your bench anywhere the tracks come within 2-4 inches of the edge. That way you can run your tracks to within 1 inch of the edge if necessary and the plexi can be mounted so that it is less than 4 inches above the rail height and act as a catch fence to keep trains from falling off the table to the floor. If the plexi only sticks up 3-4 inches above the rails, you should not have any trouble reaching over the top to rerail equipment.

Nomad

Floyd, this is the best I could come up with. You have a small freight yard on the right, and a small passenger yard in the center. There is also room for some industries you can add. All curves are 22 and 20, and all turnouts a #6 except for the yard. Grades are below 3%.

Loren

Attachments

• floyd3.jpg
    floyd3.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 13

Floyd

Loren thanks again for all the work you have done on this.:thumb: Once I get the tables set up again, I will attempt to get this set up and let you know of the progress and how it turns out. By the way, is the rail on the upper right an over and under?

Nomad

Floyd, yes it is. If you start climbing counterclockwise after the turnout going into the freight yard, you have a 2.5% grade with a 4" clearance. If you don't run anything real tall, you could make the clearance 3" and reduce the grade even more. Sorry I did not explain that.:eek:ops:

Loren

Floyd

Lore.....I will have to purchase the track needed as the largest curves that I have are 18". Does your layout idea show how many of each type curves, i.e., 20 and 22 are needed? I tried to guess at the number by looking at the diagram but sections do not appear clearly if they are there? Sorry to bother you again.:v8:

Nomad

Floyd, the plan is drawn with flextrack. I used it because it is more trouble free ( less rail joints ) and more economical. Flextrack comes in 3' sections.
I can try to redraw it with sectional track if you prefer. Let me know.

Loren

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
flex track is reagular track, with the only difference being that it is "flexible". This gives you the ability to make custom curves (since railroad tracks are rarly perfectly straight, or uniform in curves).

The only problem with flex track is that it will require some cutting. You can use a hack saw or specail "rail nippers" available at most hobby shops.

Specifically, you'll need flex track to make the 20" curves, since they are not available as sectional track. If you have the space, you can upgrade the one curve to 24" radius track, and then just keep the other at 22" instead of 20".

18" is to small to run the passenger trains you desire. you cars WILL derail. even on 22", my passenger cars have a tough time staying on the rail. The larger radius you can fit in, the better. I don't even think 20" radius curves will work to be honest.

your 18" curves would be great for a freight siding, or anything that handles locomotives equal or smaller than a SD40-2. Passenger cars are usually longer, and will not work on these, so plan accordingly.

I can't repeat enough, broad curves are key to passenger operations. I know, since half my railroad is based on commuter operations.

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Perhaps he can make extra room. It would only be another 2 inches on either side, and the 24" curves could definitely handle the passenger cars.

Nomad

Hi, green elit cab:wave:.
In his forth post, Floyd states he does not want to go any bigger:cry:, so I tried working with what he has.:cry:

Loren

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
I don't see where the two extra inches on each side ( about a 4 inch increase in total) is going to create to many issues.

because its one of those compromises with model railroads. If he tries running regular passenger cars on 20" curves, i don't think it will end well, and it will just frustrate him further. the extra investment in larger curves will be worth while in operational reliability later, which is much more important!

Nomad

I would like to see the layout expanded to, he will be happier in the long run, but I quess that is up to him, my friend, not us.

Loren

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
I know, but I just feel i should call attention to this detail. I'm not telling him to do anything, just making him aware of the operating capacity of the equipment he wants to run.

Nomad

Green elite cab, I do want to thank you for helping. I am trying to help Floyd in between taking care of my sick wife, so help is appreciated.

Loren