ho track plan for 96" x 112"

Ok, I need a HO track plan for the area 96" x 112" (8' x 9'4") that will be expandable to 96" x 290" (8' x 24'). I would like an open center, once around at least, maybe double deck, broad curves, #6 for main, # 4 for yds and spurs. Most of my locos are SD's, big GE's, and articulated steamers. My roadbed will consist of 3/8" plywood strips covered with 2 layers of 3/4" foam and cork on top of that. My area against the wall be no wider than 6-8" and my inside area will be no larger than 2'.
My work area is this:
workarea.bmp

and my bench is this:
workarea2.bmp

and my track plan is similiar to this:
workarea3.bmp

the dotted lines on the left and right go up to upper level. I haven't worked on it yet. I'm more concentrated on long running than switching right now. But I will put in a turntable and diesel service facility on the upper level, along with some industries.:thumb:

Triplex

Do consider the necessary curve radius. Assuming something around 30", the benchwork may have to extend in farther at corners, and I don't think you'll be able to fit as much as you've shown.

Also realize that a line to an upper deck will take a lot of horizontal run. For example, climbing 18" at 3% will take 50 feet of run. You can't do a double-deck layout in 8'x9'4" without a helix, and you don't have room for that.

Mountain Man

But if he added a center island with a mountain, there might be room for a helix to climb to an upper level?

Stupid censor software thinks the word pen-in-sula is obscene and starred it out.

jetrock

A helix would be a real problem: to run big steam and big diesels, I'd consider a 30" radius a bare minimum for a helix, which means a big circle about 5'6" across in some part of the room. Assuming that same 30" minimum radius on the rest of the layout, there will be on average 3-4 feet of straight track on each wall: the illustrations shown imply more like a 12" or sharper radius curve.

If the plan is to build out to 8'x24', it's a lot easier to build three times the horizontal layout than to try to build a double-decker with a helix. Once you get to the end of that 24' space, you should have room for a helix at the far end that will make a second level practical.

The curves are not representative of any radius. This plan is not set in concrete. and as for a helix, the entire track plan is a helix. the double deck is for up and down long run, and is nothing more than an expanded helix.:thumb:

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
Here's something off the top of my head... twice around with a small yard on the lower level, 2 industries on the upper. Not sure what your access is like on the top side... but have a gander, anyways.

Minimum radius is 26" on the main, #6 turnouts (with a couple of curved turnouts thrown in) and #5's in the yard.

thorobred.jpg

Triplex

It's not two loops. It's a twice-around, single track with sidings.

EDIT: No... wait a minute.... that's what it's supposed to be, but there's been a mistake.

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
hamrD'oh! That's what I get for working on it at 3 in the morning! :)

I've fixed it... I guess when I was finishing it off, I didn't realize I'd made the wrong connections on the right side.

Like I say, it was a quickie, but it's got some mainline run, some switching, some visual interest, broad-ish curves with easements, and max 4% grades.

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
Here's a variation on the theme... I've improved the separation between the levels, reduced the grade to < 3%, but the mainline curves are now 24" with easements. Still #6 turnouts off the main, and #5's on the sidings... although I did use 2 Peco curved turnouts for the passing siding on the lower level.

thorobred2.jpg

I like it, but I will use a lil variation of it: Will move the cross under to lower wall, add a storage yard on the lower level, and will make a section of it lift out (how? I dont know yet) I'm also going to add a diesel and steam service areas (somewhere, just not quite sure yet):thumb: