Ho to deal with light scratches on the hood of a car?

Discussion in 'Slot Cars General' started by Firstd1mension, May 9, 2008.

1. Firstd1mension

Firstd1mension New Member

What's the best way to deal with light scratches on the hood of a car? I have a 2005 black Saturn Ion, and I like to keep that nice black glow to it. Unfortunately, while trying to remove some hard ice from the hood, it got a little scratched from the plastic ice scraper. They're very mild scratches, only visible in the light, and it doesn't break the surface coat. They're just little waxy-looking lines on the hood. I've heard of buffing or waxing out scratches... how does that work? Do I need a buffing machine or is there an easier way?
  2. srena

srena New Member

Use a fine rubbing compound. A buffer is nice but you don't need one. Apply wax afterwards.
  3. Ironball

Ironball New Member

A good paste wax like Mothers will do the trick.
  4. Tim Crowe

Tim Crowe Member

You can buy coloured compounds for hiding small scratches.

Car traders have also been known to use wax crayons to hide them as well
  5. pbleek

pbleek New Member

On a black car you have to be careful, I would wash the car, use a clay bar to clean the surface, then a polishing product like Klasse All in one with a random orbital polishing machine or by hand, never use rotary buffers or you will swirl the finish. Do not use anything abrasive like a rubbing compound, After you polish, put down some good polymer wax.
  6. Johhny J

Johhny J New Member

just put a light coat of wax over the scratches and let it dry to a light haze. then buff it out a buffer would probably be easier but a cloth should work.