HO steam loco repair

GYurick

Mar 21, 2002
New Castle, PA
Visit site
I have an HO steam 0-6-0 loco that needs service. Specifically, the rubber tire has stretched and needs replaced. I do not feel confident about doing the work. I would probably do more harm than good. Can anyone recommend a trustworthy source for this?

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Most hobby shops have, or can recommend, repair services.

Traction tires, and tools for installation are not that expensive. If you can learn how to repair these things, there's less to worry about, and more time for fun. You might consider trying the repair first, and if that fails, at least you have the old tire off, so installing a new one won't take that long.
Pete

yellowlynn

Jul 7, 2001
Whitehouse, Tx USA
Visit site
repairs

GYurick
I can understand how you feel, been there, done that. I have a 4-8-8-4 Big Boy that blew a tire. I got a pack at the hobby shop. It is necessary to take the drive rods loose from the wheel so the tire will go on. Lay the loco on its side, on a thin piece of foam, or anything to keep it from sliding. Take the screw out, remembering exactly how the rods went. Use Scotch tape or such to keep them together. Slide the new tire past them. Then, either connect them back if you feel squirrely, or put the tire onb the wheel 1st, then reconnect. Always do just one at a time,if possible and there should be no problem. Also, use tape to hold the screw, or you'll lose it for sure. That is experience talking there. Good luck.

Lynn