HO shelf layout...need advice

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by cpr_boy, Oct 26, 2005.

1. shortliner

shortliner Member

Brakie - this is prototype and would make a great model as a round-the-room, U- shape, 12"-wide shelf
    http://www.docwightman.com/railroad/btrr/walkingtour/walkingtour.html
    If there isn't enough switching for your needs, you could always "add" a few on-line customers - there is enough suitable industry available. It has interchange track too. The whole route can be seen on Terraserver in photos and maps. If you want more info - I can point you to some pics and info
    Shortliner(Jack)away up here in the Highlands
  2. Ralph

Ralph Remember...it's for fun!

Real nice example of what can be done in small space Jetrock! Very illustrative for this thread!

cpr boy, you're getting some good advice here. I wonder if you'll want to hide one of the tracks in the back inside a building to serve as a staging track so your freight cars appear to come from "off layout"?

Ralph
  3. cpr_boy

cpr_boy Member

Thank you all for your suggestions, but I've decide to build a small 2x4 N scale module. Once I have more room, I'll try my hand in HO.
  4. green_elite_cab

green_elite_cab Keep It Moving!

You know what would work out for you? there is a book called 6 HO Layouts You Can Build from kalmbach. there are 2 very nice modules in there for HO that can have the kinds of stuff you want on it.

one is a fictional conrail junction with a shortline, which is basicly a diorama meant to be connected to other modules. you won't be able to run much, but it does looke nice.

the other one is a port layout. you won't be able to run the bigger engines much, but you can switch modern freight cars with a small locomotive like a GE 44 tonner ( the black one with orange stripes in Jetrock's last photo on the first page) as they do in the book, or slightly larger switchers like a GP-7.

the book also has alot of other suggestions in other parts of it, and i'm telling you its worth it.

is there any particular area you want to model?