HO shay Coupler conversion

polekat

Jan 26, 2008
Hi, I recently converted a bachmann HO shay to Kadee #158 wisker couplers.The problem is the coupler pocket is too shallow and the centre protusion is to large for the hole in the coupler.I was able to file the coupler shank thinner and bore out the centre hole in the coupler just a hair and it works great,BUT because the coupler is metal and the shay is a split frame, you could have a short. the shay comes with plastic couplers. so I would like convert my shay so the couplers would be insulated from the frame. the only way I can see to do this, is to remove existing coupler box by filing it off and mounting Kadee plastic coupler box. I was wondering if you have any suggestions.

Don7

Dec 29, 2007
Northern BC
Hi, I recently converted a bachmann HO shay to Kadee #158 wisker couplers.The problem is the coupler pocket is too shallow and the centre protusion is to large for the hole in the coupler.I was able to file the coupler shank thinner and bore out the centre hole in the coupler just a hair and it works great,BUT because the coupler is metal and the shay is a split frame, you could have a short. the shay comes with plastic couplers. so I would like convert my shay so the couplers would be insulated from the frame. the only way I can see to do this, is to remove existing coupler box by filing it off and mounting Kadee plastic coupler box. I was wondering if you have any suggestions.

You should have checked with the Kadee site first.

http://www.kadee.com/conv/hocc14.htm

the correct coupler is a #5, a #58 or a #148 wisker. Apparently they are all drop in and do not require adapting.

polekat

Jan 26, 2008
thank you Don7 I appreciate you help,I looked into the other couplers and the shank was the same on all of them as far as thickness and the hole same diameter.On another forum a guy agreed with my finding and I also checked with Kadee.The answer is to grind off existing coupler pocket and install kadee pocket and coupler. thanks again,