Ho scale water tower

erniemiller2

Does anyone know where I can find downloadable scale plans for an HO SCALE water tower that I can scratch build?
Thanks.
Ernie

erniemiller2

Great job Andrew, thanks for the come back, it almost looks real, but can you tell me where you got the plans, or did you scratch build it. Were they from the internet?
Thanks,
Ernie

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Thanks for the kind words Ernie.

There were no plans... I got a few pictures from here on The Gauge, especially for the waterspout. But generally, the tower was a visual copy of the Atlas one, for which there are many pictures.

It was my first serious attempt at a scratch build. I did it because:

1) I had a fear of wrecking the seemingly expensive kits I had bought. I thought I needed some practice first...! :D

2) The ribbon spool looked about the right size.

3) There are no windows or doors to be cut into the structure.

Here's a fantastic how-to on making a tower with cardboard, paper, and strip wood:

http://www.zealot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=106164&highlight=water+spout

Try a search here - I know we have some great pictures of the "Canadian type" (enclosed base) by doctorwayne, and there may be others I cannot recall.

I think of all the railway structures out there, as long as it looks right, it probably is...! ;) I would urge you to just go for it! :)

Andrew

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
I've never used this site, but apparently you can download the plans and instructions for this N-Scale water tower for free, just by registering.

They give instructions on how to enlarge the plans for whatever scale you want to build it in.

This site has engineering drawings of a C&NW water tower that you could use, but you'd be on your own for technique.