HO scale Kress hot metal carrier for the mill.

slagpot

Hello all,

Seeing this is my third post on this forum, I thought why not post some of my handy work. This model of a kress carrier was built about two months ago. Using a stock norscot HO scraper and spare parts laying around the work bench.

My next scratch build is gonna be a kress staddle slab carrier, a six wheel monster to roam the future mill. I have more pics of this peice of equipment to post at a future date. This kress carrier was on my work bench over the weekend to receive its hydralic hoses, I'll have to post pics of this burly girl when totally completed.

P.S Yes I know my painting skills suck.

Enjoy the picture.....

Patrick
Beaufort,SC
Dragon River Steel Corp {DRSC}

DSC00050.jpg

doctorwayne

Hi Patrick, welcome to the Gauge.:wave: :wave: I believe we've conversed before, on the Model Railroader site. Glad to see you here, especially with your great model of the Kress. As I mentioned there, the steel plant where I worked used slag pot carriers similar to your model. The slab carriers were much larger, but still only four wheelers: I think that their capacity was somewhere between 130 to 150 tons. An impressive piece of machinery, but they replaced an awful lot of track and locomotives, not to mention some interesting rolling stock.

Wayne

slagpot

Hello all,

Had to take some time off from work today, so after doing my running around, why not goof off with the kress carrier. I added the hydraulic hoses and touched up the paint. I'm still not real happy with it, but it's built.

Finnished photos are below...

DSC00190.jpg

slagpot

Ralph said:
That's a very interesting model! A real eye catcher!
Ralph

Thanks Ralph for the kind words. The first time I saw one the real thing, I had no idea what it was. I grew up around a large steel mill and walked the fence line as a teen but only saw this machine once. Geez that was over 20 years ago...time flys when your having fun.

The real story about how I built mine is... this guy from the UK {Andy Park} built a HO scale model of this same carrier. The only difference between his model and mine is...his is built from drawings,plans and pictures. Mine on the other hand, is more along the lines of imagineered.

Patrick
Beaufort,SC

gtbikes51

I like the carrier, I drive them personally but different models from what you've designed and built. Mine will carry both Ladles as well as slag pots, one of these days I'll get you some pictures.

slagpot

I like the carrier, I drive them personally but different models from what you've designed and built. Mine will carry both Ladles as well as slag pots, one of these days I'll get you some pictures.

gtbikes51,

Thats very kind of you. I'd like pictures of any kress carrier. Not to many photos on-line of these machines. I've build three different kress carriers and two were done using schematics from the US patent office.

The first hot metal ladle carier was mostly imagineered,didn't have but one picture to go by.

Patrick
Beaufort,SC

gtbikes51

I hate ladles. With our machines they sit on top of the dump frame. You engage your pot locks and that gives the ladle a flat surface to sit on. Nothing holds the ladle down, just the weight of it. A few select companies have the rights to operate Kress carriers. MultiServ as well as IMS are two of the bigger companies. I'll see if I can grab some slab hauler pictures some time as well, they are pretty interesting too.