HO scale Kato NW 2

Mattoon

May 2, 2006
First, let me say hello to all as this is my first post! I have been into trains off and on since 1980. I recently made the jump to DCC. I bought 2 Kato NW 2s off EBAY. Got them cheap, at least I thought so, until I took off the shell of one. Darn thing is all weight:curse: ! The Digitrax and NCE decoders I have won't fit anywhere, or even close.
Could I use an N scale decoder? Any recomendations as to which one? All I want is control of the motor and lights.
How do I wire this thing? I understand the orange and grey to the motor, etc., but again, it's all lead:curse: . Thanks in advance, I know someone out there can help:wave: !

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
The instructions that come with decoders should tell you how to wire them. n-scale decoders will work in small ho switchers. On my P2k sw7 I used a m-1 decoder for n-scale, I did not run the light through the decoder. I've noticed that switching crews do not turn on forward lights going forward and then shut them off and turn on reversing light when going backwards. They turn on all of the lights all of the time. Therefore, I wired all of my lights to track power, and just ran the motor off the decoder. I don't know if lighting packages would overload an n-scale decoder or not, but the low current of a small can motor used in the switchers does not draw enough amps to hurt the n-scale decoder. I think if I was running an Athearn sw7 or 1500 and wanted to use a n-scale decoder, I would convert it to a can motor first.

Mattoon

May 2, 2006
Well, I did it. I used a Digitrax decoder, number DZ163 I belive. I stuck the decoder in the cab. Lost the cab interior though. No big deal to me. Only one more to do, LOL.
I cut the wipers from the motor that touch the side weights/frames off short and soldered the wires to them, than insulated them with shrink tubing. Then soldered the red and black wires to the wipers for track power pick up. This also allowed me to reuse the factory lights. They stay on all the time, but it is a switcher.
I also used a grinding wheel in a Dremel to cut grooves where needed in the frame for the wires to lay in.

oleirish

Nov 6, 2005
Central Point,oregon
I would like to see the pictures allso,I have three Kato NW2's,just like you I took the body off and had an look,then shook my head an put the body right back on!!They are good switchers now,I can guess how good they will be in DCC,again let us know,and thanks
JIM