HO scale furniture

Tregurtha1013

Hello all,

I build HO scale radio control Great Lakes freighters and tugs. I am in need of HO scale furniture for some interior spaces on my current project due to the size of the windows making it a requirement that I detail the room.

I am aware of fezziwig line of furniture but am wondering if their are others around. Has anyone had any experiance with the fezziwig stuff? Thanks!

Scott

jetrock

I've never heard of the "fezziwig stuff"--I think there is some model building out there labeled "Fezziwig's Furniture" but was unaware of an HO scale furniture manufacturer by that name. I mostly scratchbuild the stuff or use things I pick up at swap meets. Evergreen Scale Models do a lot of HO scale interior-detail type items, they are nicely put together and detailed but I wouldn't want to outfit a large house with all store-bought detail bits, I'd go broke! Which is why I make it a habit to save all the weird extra detail parts from every kit I have ever built and put it in a box for future use, and raid the "clearance sale" bins at hobby shops and railroad swap meets.

What sort of interior spaces are you detailing? And tell us more about this Fezziwig's line...

Tregurtha1013

jetrock said:
I've never heard of the "fezziwig stuff"--I think there is some model building out there labeled "Fezziwig's Furniture" but was unaware of an HO scale furniture manufacturer by that name. I mostly scratchbuild the stuff or use things I pick up at swap meets. Evergreen Scale Models do a lot of HO scale interior-detail type items, they are nicely put together and detailed but I wouldn't want to outfit a large house with all store-bought detail bits, I'd go broke! Which is why I make it a habit to save all the weird extra detail parts from every kit I have ever built and put it in a box for future use, and raid the "clearance sale" bins at hobby shops and railroad swap meets.

What sort of interior spaces are you detailing? And tell us more about this Fezziwig's line...

Here is a link to the Fezziwig furniture: http://www.oakridgehobbies.com/ho_scale/ho_furniture.html

The interior spaces i have to detail are the pilothouse and the passanger lounge of the Paul R. Tregurtha, a 1,013 foot Great Lakes freighter. The windows in those areas are large, If i didn't detail them it wouldn't look right as you can see right in. Some of it i'll have to make myself but was hoping to be able to buy some of it just to avoid having to make everything and pulling my hair out in the process.

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Try Walthers....Look under "superdetailing". There's a bunch of manufacturers that make interior details for buildings. There might be something there you can use.

jetrock

Wow! Thanks for the link...interesting items, but kind of pricey, I'd take it.

For the pilothouse, if you have photos of the prototype you might be able to fabricate a suitable replica. For a passenger lounge, you might look for something like the Suydam interior-detail kits--basically a box of somewhat crude wooden chairs and tables which can easily be painted to provide a suitable but not superdetailed interior.

Tregurtha1013

jetrock said:
Wow! Thanks for the link...interesting items, but kind of pricey, I'd take it.

For the pilothouse, if you have photos of the prototype you might be able to fabricate a suitable replica. For a passenger lounge, you might look for something like the Suydam interior-detail kits--basically a box of somewhat crude wooden chairs and tables which can easily be painted to provide a suitable but not superdetailed interior.

I used to work on the real boat so I have all sorts of pictures and video of both areas. For the pilothouse i'm expecting to make all the navigational equpiment and such myself. Their are a few things up there, a couple chairs, computer desk and such that I might be able to buy. Thanks for the Suydam name, i'll see what I can find by them.

jim currie

:wave: welcome to the gauge :wave: have you tried googling for them? been years since built model ships but seems to me that there were several co's out there that did fixtures.

Tregurtha1013

jim currie said:
:wave: welcome to the gauge :wave: have you tried googling for them? been years since built model ships but seems to me that there were several co's out there that did fixtures.

Yes, common things like the chadburn and such for the pilothouse I can buy, but I have not found anything for the real modern stuff that she has in the pilothouse.

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
I too would like to learn more about creating interiors in HO scale. I have a Walthers Merchant Row 1, and I would like to make some store fronts, and i plan to make one building a model train shop.

what scale is an ho scale model train in HO? yes... it confuses me to.

Tregurtha1013

Green Cab,

Take the size of whatever something is in real life in inches and divide it by 7.25 to get its length in HO. If you have a Model train car that is a foot long.. 1/7.25=.137 inches

Scott