HO scale equilibrium crane/E-crane scratch build

slagpot

Jul 11, 2006
Beaufort,SC
Hello all,

Operating a steel mill has tons of speicilized vehicles running around and this latest scratch build is one of them {crane is fixed in place,so this bugger won't be running around }. Union Railroad in PA has one of these cranes at their barge unloading center. Based on the principal of weight verses balance is how this crane operates and the HO scratch version is about the same.

I started by building both of the booms,cab,pedestal,out-rigger legs,machine housing and the detail parts. the crane when completed will be 12 " tall by 18" in lenght with both booms fully extended.The base of crane with out-riggers in place measures about 10". Should be another eye catcher,will post pictures when completed

Patrick
Beaufort,SC
Dragon River Steel Corp {DRSC}

slagpot

Jul 11, 2006
Beaufort,SC
EngineerKyle said:
can you post a few pics along the way? Please.

Hello Kyle,

The crane is in very rough shape as of now. I'd like to complete it before posting pictures as the crane will be in one piece and not a ton of styrene laying around.

Today { I stayed home from work hehehe} I finnished a lot of the crane in my spare time including the base {waiting on paint} the booms and working on the bucket as we speak {waiting on CA to dry}.

Should be another day or two till pictures will be posted.

Patrick
Beaufort,SC
Dragon River Steel Corp {DRSC}

slagpot

Jul 11, 2006
Beaufort,SC
Will be working on the handrails tonight ,along with painting the beast and putting it together as a whole.Oh yeah the darn bucket has been a major pain in the buttocks,but I'll figure it out.....duct tape can fix anything ...lol....just kidding.

This has been a pretty neat scratch build so far,I'm very pleased with the out come so far.

Patrick
Beaufort,SC
DRSC