HO radius recommendation

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by ls1gto, Oct 11, 2005.

1. ls1gto

ls1gto Member

Very true on hiding the curves and I definately like the idea of a helix on each end. Only thing is I would be concerned about how many cars I could run on a tight helix without umm "operational issues". I could actually get close to a 27" outer radius and still have 2' of walk through space. But then again I still like the duck under idea.
    :D :cry: :curse: This is an example of my current cycle of emotions. Get a good idea, then get confused because of another idea then I just get frustrated trying to decide.:D . Its a great problem to have.:thumb:
  2. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

One other solution to the duck under is to put it high enough that you can get under it while sitting on a rolling office chair. Makes it easy for visitors to get in/out and is back friendly too!

Andrew
  3. yellowlynn

yellowlynn Member

duck

You're right about duckunders. I tore a 7 1/2' X 24' apart because of that. For an 11X17 room, around the wall, this is what I would do. It gives 22" radius on the ends for continuous running, plus the possibility of a center peninsula for all kinds of sidings. The 30" along the wall allows you to reach everything.

I had to think, which was a strain, so that is my 3 cents worth.

Lynn

Attached Files:

4. ls1gto

ls1gto Member

O.K. This is just flat embarassing.:oops: . I have people drawing me a diagram of my layout and I've not posted one of my own. Thank you very much for your input. I'm so stinking torn on this deal. Everyone that I have asked at work which they would prefer, UNANIMOUSLY said the turnaround to turnaround instead of the around the wall. (I just wanted to get a non-enthusiast point of view). But the around the wall has its own set of advantages also.
    I prefer the T/A to T/A myself, I just have to get the design down to where I'm happy with it and unfortunately I'm a little short on tallent and imagination. I'd be embarassed to even show you guys an plan I came up with:D .
  5. MasonJar

ls1gto,

In the end it is your layout, and you will have to live with it. The closest 99.9% of us will get to it is via The Gauge. So go with what you want, taking the advice with a grain of salt...!

But, as Lynn says, don't underestimate the impact of a duckunder as you get (not so much) older, the width of aisles as you grow in different directions ;) and how many times things need to be accessed if you've built the shelf too deep.

;) :D

Andrew
  6. ls1gto

ls1gto Member

Yeah, the whole "growing in different directions", definately see that as a valid point. :D The shelf being to deep is another consideration.
    Now I ask you, is the advice on THE-GAUGE only worth a grain of salt?:eek: :D . Just kidding, again I truly appreciate everyones input, it is very valuable in making educated decisions.
  7. MasonJar

"growing in different directions" -

I meant growing in your hobby... you know - holding operating sessions that may require two people to pass in a narrow aisle... ;) ;) :rolleyes: :D

Andrew
  8. Union Pacific

Union Pacific Member

lol masonjar
    the way it looks for me I willl be growing in all direction withy the hobby an well you know :p :p
    I personally would use swing bridge that swings out not up or down
    just my 2 cents "hey another idea":rolleyes:
  9. ls1gto

ls1gto Member

Umm, yeah, thats what I meant too.:thumb:
  10. Gary Pfeil

Gary Pfeil Active Member

Regarding your concerns about operational dependability with long trains on a helix, I have a double tracked helix with radii of 23 7/8 and 26 1/8. Because I used a lower than standard clearance (1950's, no high cubes or such) my grade is about 2%. I often run trains which are long enough to use two deck lengths of track. It's interesting to see a caboose two levels below the locos. I have no derailment problems but careful track laying is a must. You can't have any rail joints which aren't perfectly aligned. Here's a link to my rail images page, where there is a photo of my helix.

http://www.railimages.com/gallery/garypfeil
  11. Ralph

Ralph Remember...it's for fun!

Your layout description is much like mine with the opening at the end of the U. I've done my HO layout in a 12.5 foot wide, 20 ft long room and have needed to keep the radius of the return curves to a max of about 26" so I can accomodate a decent opening for folks to walk into the layout. I run mostly 40 and 50 ft. freight cars and four axel locos so its not a problem though.
    Ralph
  12. ls1gto

ls1gto Member

Thank you for your input! Beautiful layout!
  13. ls1gto

ls1gto Member

Man, I tell ya, if I just had another 1' 6", that would eliminate most of my issues. Of coarse you do still have the issue of a deep shelf to deal with as MJ pointed out. Thank you!