HO morgan 400 ton ladle crane scratch built photos

slagpot

Jul 11, 2006
Beaufort,SC
Hello all,

Thanks and Kudos to Doc wayne for being so kind as to share photos of his crane. Mine is somewhat based on a much heavier duty steel mill crane. This crane will be used inside the BOF structure as soon as its built.

All scratch built using all kinds of things.....far to many to list off. As you may be able to tell my painting skills still suck ,so bear with me.....sorry. It took huh........dunno how many hours to build. Still have more things to add,odds & ends really. Enjoy and many many thanks to you DocWayne.

400tonmorganladlecrane009-1.jpg

400tonmorganladlecrane008-1.jpg

400tonmorganladlecrane007-1.jpg

400tonmorganladlecrane006-1.jpg

Patrick
Beaufort,SC
Dragon River Steel Corp {DRSC}

slagpot

Jul 11, 2006
Beaufort,SC
Dakota train said:
It's awesome. You have to much creativity. Lend me some. Is it fully functional? Great job

Terrell

Hi yaz Terrell,

The only thing that moves freely is the trolley,it can be moved to either end. Would have been cool to have an operating model,but far to much enigneering for me.

Patrick

slagpot

Jul 11, 2006
Beaufort,SC
bigsteel said:
man i only hope i can get that detailed with my steel mill,great job.--josh

Josh,

What scale do you model in ? I myself can't wait to see what another steel mill nut will model !!!!!!!! Do you have any pics to share ?

Patrick

slagpot

Jul 11, 2006
Beaufort,SC
MilesWestern said:
I've watched nearly every scratchbuilt thing you've made, and you certianly improve greatly with time! :) This is SUPER impressive, and I cannot wait to see where It'll go on your layout! :thumb:

Glen.....thanks for the kind words.

Miles....Thanks, really means a lot. I built this model using just about everything but the kitchen sink. The sink didn'y look right anywhere on the crane ,so it didn't get put on,heh heh, heh .The main girder was made from a walthers turnable templete.Most of the crane parts were lego shapes,the winches came from my wifes par-a-keet perches and the gear boxes were old transformers toys.Everything else was completely scratch built.Thanks again for the kind words.

Oh BTW ,this crane will be housed in the Basic oxygen furnace building,a scructure that will be about three feet long by two feet wide and two and one half feet high. Sctucture is to big to be built and stored,so I'll have to wait.

Patrick

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
Dec 12, 2006
Cincinnati,Ohio
Josh,

What scale do you model in ? I myself can't wait to see what another steel mill nut will model !!!!!!!! Do you have any pics to share ?

i model in HO and do not have a layout yet as i am in the process of building it.but soon ill have pics of when i start to model the steel mill which is mostly yard but still guite a few buildings.cant wait to start on it and get some picture up.--josh

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
Wow that's great!!! You need to get that thing outside with the sky as a backdrop - I bet you'd fool a lot of people who would think it's real. Really nice work!

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Great job, Patrick, and a very imaginative use of materials. :thumb: :thumb: Your passion for the subject certainly shows through in your work. Very impressive.

Wayne

D&Hp-burgh

Feb 7, 2007
I have seen on a couple of your models the black wires strung about. What are you using for them?? They look incredible

slagpot

Jul 11, 2006
Beaufort,SC
D&Hp-burgh said:
I have seen on a couple of your models the black wires strung about. What are you using for them?? They look incredible

I use a couple of things mainly,copper wire coated in its insulation. Shoot I've even used fishing string,painted. But copper wire ,retains its shape and is easier to work with.So far its the best looking for hydraulic hoses,electrical lines and main piping.

All of the norscot heavy equipment models I have, are all done using this method.Mainly for the hydraulic hoses.

Hope this helps.

Patrick
Beaufort,SC
Dragon River Steel Corp {DRSC}

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
Rancho Santa Margarita, Cali.
WOW

COME TO MY HOUSE AND BUILD ME ONE OF DEM IN N SCALE sign1 sign1 sign1 sign1

FANTASTIC job Patrick, that is a AWESOME piece of work, I am always suprised to see what is next :thumb: :thumb: