HO Monorail?

David Rosser

Sep 15, 2003
Penna
Visit site
To all: Does anyone know of of any kit/outfit/kit group/?/ that would provide a monorail set-up in HO? Like many older layouts (ours is around 30 years old in parts) we can not add any more normal trackage. But, a monorail would allow me to "keep on building"! Any a ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Dave

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Welcome to the-gauge!!!

They're out there:

Google "HO monorail"

Myself, I would look towards an El train, tram, or inclined railway, but that would just be a preference choice. I only mention it in case you have not thought of those options. Not seeing your layout, perhaps the mono would fit in best.

You could also rip out a section and start over on it. That's probably what I'll have to do if I run out of space before I retire and move away.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
The Disney people sell a model of their monorail. It looks a bit over HO scale. I saw one running in a store and it seemed a bit rough.
You should be able to get it in any Disney store or park.
It comes with a loop of track, but extra curves and straights are available. Also a large piece that is 2 3-way switches back to back (!) and a number of buildings.

Hoghead

Jul 10, 2002
Eastern US
Visit site
Yeah I was just down at Disneyworld with the kids. The monorail was about $60.00 and is battery operated. My 3 yr old son decided on the Buzz Lightyear space ship and fugure instead of the monorail :p

Arlaghan

Sep 9, 2003
S. FL
E-R Models puts one out in HO scale. I've seen a set for about $160, but I'm sure you can find it cheaper.

Attachments

• internettrains_1761_85304431.gif
    internettrains_1761_85304431.gif
    64.8 KB · Views: 341

Lighthorseman

Jul 24, 2002
Out in the sticks
Visit site
Originally posted by jon-monon
...Myself, I would look towards an El train...

I remember a series of articles in MR magazine where a fellow built an El train using Central Valley girders and supports. The end result was incredible. Also, Life-Like has released Proto 1000 subway cars which, I think (??) are pretty similar to the El-type trains.

Now, THAT would be a :cool: cool :cool: project!

Alan Bickley

Dec 22, 2003
Bicester, Oxford, UK
Visit site
Just looking through the old threads and found this (bored, you know!).
Anyway, I remember seeing on my travels an Italeri kit for a German "Transrapid" Monorail in HO. Although it was a static model, imagine if it could be motorised, using the same system of magnetic levitation that the prototype uses?!:eek:

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Originally posted by David Rosser
To all: Does anyone know of of any kit/outfit/kit group/?/ that would provide a monorail set-up in HO? Like many older layouts (ours is around 30 years old in parts) we can not add any more normal trackage. But, a monorail would allow me to "keep on building"! Any a ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Dave
Hello David, Welcome to the gauge.
Can you post a photo of your railroad or trackplan, perhaps we can advise you better after looking at it. Might be possible to add a small logging line which goes up into the hills, you never know.
Shamus